The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backboard OOB (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12506-backboard-oob.html)

BoomerSooner Mon Mar 01, 2004 02:14am

I was at the gym earlier today, playing a pickup game, and had a shot roll across the top of the backboard and drop for 3pts. Everybody immediately told me it was OOB and no bucket. It didn't touch any supports or anything. Now I know its a good shoot and should have counted but arguing against everyone was of no avail.

Afterwards one of the guys playing came to me and told me he knew I was right, except in some states. His high school team lost the state championship on a basket that was waived off because the ball rolled off the top and went in. My question is what states if any have this rule at the HS level and under what rules are they playing? I know some states aren't using Fed but I can't imagine something as simple as this being different in any other set of rules.

BktBallRef Mon Mar 01, 2004 09:29am

My guess is that the ball hit something, a support, rope, something above the top of the backboard.

mick Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by BoomerSooner
My question is what states if any have this rule at the HS level and under what rules are they playing? I know some states aren't using Fed but I can't imagine something as simple as this being different in any other set of rules.
I'm thinkin' what yer thinkin'. ;)
mick

BOBBYMO Mon Mar 01, 2004 06:52pm

How old was the guy you were playing with? Is there a chance that he was playing with the old "round" or " fan shaped: backboards in their state?

mick Mon Mar 01, 2004 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BOBBYMO
How old was the guy you were playing with? Is there a chance that he was playing with the old "round" or " fan shaped: backboards in their state?
You may wanna re-think what you wrote.
mick

Forksref Mon Mar 01, 2004 09:49pm

All the edges of the backboard are inbounds, including those of the fan-shaped boards. Balls passing over the fan-shaped boards are in-bounds, but balls passing over the rectangular boards are out of bounds.

I think you got a bad call.

BoomerSooner Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:48am

arguing against ignorence is what cost me the shot, cause I know it didn't hit any supports. What bugged me is the one person who appeared intelligible made the "in other states" comment.

Mark Dexter Wed Mar 03, 2004 09:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
My guess is that the ball hit something, a support, rope, something above the top of the backboard.

Or the officials just called it OOB when it wasn't . . .

gostars Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:43pm

During the OSU-A&M game today the ball hit the top of the backboard and was ruled OOB.

One-Whistle Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
During the OSU-A&M game today the ball hit the top of the backboard and was ruled OOB.
Must have hit a support...

I wasn't there (nor did I see it on TV), but you have to believe the officials got it right.

gostars Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:29pm

I know it could not have hit a support because Gallagher-Iba has portable baskets that sit on the floor

[Edited by gostars on Mar 7th, 2004 at 09:49 PM]

Bart Tyson Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
I know it could not have hit a support because Galager-Iba has portable baskets that sit on the floor
What about the shot clock?

gostars Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:42pm

I check the NCAA book. Rule 7.3 (Page BR-99 in the 2003 book)
"The ball shall be out of bounds when it pass over the backboard from any direction."

How far does the ball have to go over the top to "pass over the backboard"?

[/QUOTE][/B] What about the shot clock? [/B][/QUOTE]

By NCAA rule the shot clock must be recessed. Gallagher-Iba shot clocks are set back and raised so that a ball on the top of the back board would not hit the shot clock.

[Edited by gostars on Mar 7th, 2004 at 09:49 PM]

Bart Tyson Mon Mar 08, 2004 09:24am

I've officiated a lot of ncaa games and the ball has touched the shot clock. I guess I'm not sure what you are saying. I think we caught all the times when it hit.

mdray Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Originally posted by BOBBYMO
You may wanna re-think what you wrote.
mick

don't know 'bout anyone else, but ROFLMAO