The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity part of night.I'm trail in front of blue bench followinf blue fast break. Player goes up for layup, gets undercut slightly and goes down hard. No tweet from lead.I swallow whistle, let me make excuse. Earlier in Frosh game , similar play and I do make the call from trail. I get the hairy eyeball from partner who passed. I only make this one if I am "110" per cent sure. Partner is a notorious rim watcher, and I think this was what happened in these two cases. I think he gave up on the shooter once the layup was released. Back to Varsity sitch, I catch holy heck from Blue bench for not making the call from trail. I know I avoided the "hairy eyeball"from partner again, but I know I should have called the foul. Should you say the heck with stepping on toes, avoid pi$$ing off partner, or do what you should for the game's benefit? I know the right answer, but in the fraction of time it takes to process this during play, I failed.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ah yes! who to pi$$ off!

If it's somebody will you work with regularly, at least you have the opportunity to go back and discuss it after the game and decide how to handle future calls.

If it's somebody you'll never work with again, and he's not prone to listen, make the call. I made the mistake once of letting the coach get to me when I was trail in a very similar situation. He was screaming at me, and I copped out--"That's not my call, coach!" He responds, "If you SEE it, CALL it!" Got me there!
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Call it!

You do know the answer and you have come here for "confessional".

The integrity of the game (And safety of the players) is in jeopardy if you do not step up on this situation. I had a similar play last monday.

I am "new" Trail on the non-bench side, fast break on tableside. My partner is a little late on the break and is straightlined. A1 drives to the hoop (on Team B's end) as B1 attempts to take the charge, but arrives late. I hesitated long enough for my partner to take the play with a late whistle and it did not come so I called it.

As I reported the foul, I heard B's assistant coach (JV Coach, and a state-certified offical) asking "Who is watching the other players?"

I then stepped closer to the head coach and discreetly told him, he needed to have better control of his bench personnel. Not a peep from the bench the rest of the way.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Call it!

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
I then stepped closer to the head coach and discreetly told him, he needed to have better control of his bench personnel. Not a peep from the bench the rest of the way.
Wow, great move! Well, I mean, it worked for you. Do you use this very often? Were there really some problems on the bench? Do tell!
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Not new

I know that I have seen this method used by others from this forum...

It has been successful on a number of occassions, but not all. I just use it in a progression of efforts to manage the game (a**'t coach in this case).

[Edited by One-Whistle on Feb 28th, 2004 at 11:02 AM]
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

zebra44,
Come on down and help me with that!
I'm sure you would.
mick
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have had problems with this guy in past, by "helping him"out.I know you don't watch the rim, and therefore you would have stayed with shooter and nailed the call.