The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I just thought I would share the craziest situation I've ever experienced on a basketball court.

Middle school girls, home team has had a substantial lead for most of the game. During the 4th quarter visitors mount a comeback and cut the lead to 2 with 1:31 left on the clock. At that time the home coach calls me to the bench and tells me there is a time limit and I have to call the game.

No one told us about a time limit before the game and the visiting coach did not know about it. Anyway I tell the coach that I'm not going to stop the game, she goes balistic, then the AD comes onto the court. they're both screaming and yelling, running around me like two rabid chihuahuas. I threaten to T up the coach, she threatens to take her team off the court, I say if you take the team off the court your going to forfeit the game. finally the principal comes out to settle them down and explains to us that there is a time limit, and turns out the visiting boys coach knew about the rule. So we go ahead and call the game. Finally everything settles and the boys game goes off without a hitch.

Turns out I was totally wrong and I probably could'nt have handled the situation much worse (that was my one mistake for this year,LOL) my problem with the whole deal was that the rules were not made known before the game (I thought they were trying to pull an Al Gore). I've heard the best way to learn is by making mistakes, I got quite an education tonight.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

So how's that work...

In GA, does each school have a set of bylaws that the officials must read for each different school, for each game. It seems a bit much to me, how long have you been calling ball in that area? This seems like something that would be at the top of the list for your organization Chalk Talk sesssion.

Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:28am
In Memoriam

JoeD1,
So all those little delays by the home team mounted up, and you were not able to run the game fairly because you were not given the proper rules.
It was not fair to you, or to your game.
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I find it hard to believe that they didn't tell you before the game. Personally, I wouldnot even think to ask the question. You could have shortened half time, or taken any other number of steps to get the game in.

I would also report the behavior of the coach and AD to the state. You should have hit them both with T's for acting like children. If they ended up losing because of it, oh well, they should have let you know there was a limit.

I don't know how any other states are, but here in my state, they really take a hard line on how the fed rules are in relation to games. If there is no provision in the Fed book, then you cannot do it. As an official if you allow it to happen, then they hold you responsible.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I don't know how any other states are, but here in my state, they really take a hard line on how the fed rules are in relation to games. If there is no provision in the Fed book, then you cannot do it. As an official if you allow it to happen, then they hold you responsible.
Hey BW,
what do you mean, when you say provisions...and being held responsible???

Could Joe have just said, 'The game will go on and possibly been justified.' (A) in his state (B) in your state, under the same circumstances.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

In GA there are time limits for weekday games for H.S.
the girls varsity(followed by boys) games must start NLT 6 PM this means all JV games must end prior to 5:45.
I believe that the last game of Middle school games
must start NLT 6: pm on weekdays. JV officials usually
can set QTR and half times to adjust. This is found in the policy and precedures letter that all officials who register with Ga are supposed to recieve.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

What I mean is:

The fed says we can shorten quarters with both coaches approval. We cannot play quarters with running clock, stop a game midway because of a time limit, or use any kind of a slaughter rule. Even if both coaches want to do it, we cannot allow it. It is on us to apply proper fed rules.

Same goes for volleyball. The fed does not allow rally scoring. Even if the coaches want to use it, we cannot allow it to happen.

This is just one of those things that is different from state to state. If they find out we allowed something like that to happen, I would guess we could be fined, put on probation, or lose tourney games. Or all three if they want.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:

Same goes for volleyball. The fed does not allow rally scoring. Even if the coaches want to use it, we cannot allow it to happen.

Brian,
What is rally scoring?
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Brian,
What is rally scoring?
mick
A point on every serve -- if the offense "violates" (if that's the right term) the defense gets a point and the next serve.

On the original situation (time limit; official and opposing coach don't know it) -- note in the score book that at (time limit) the score was (x to y). Then finish the game. If it turns out that there was a time limit, revert to the score at that time. If not, use the score at the end of the game.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

It is what everyone in the world, except fed, uses. Basically, every side out results in a point regardless if you are serving or not. Usually makes games/matches go faster.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Smile Thanks, Bob.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Brian,
What is rally scoring?
mick
A point on every serve -- if the offense "violates" (if that's the right term) the defense gets a point and the next serve.

On the original situation (time limit; official and opposing coach don't know it) -- note in the score book that at (time limit) the score was (x to y). Then finish the game. If it turns out that there was a time limit, revert to the score at that time. If not, use the score at the end of the game.
Bob,
Kinda like a rain delay on the diamond.
Cool!
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:42am
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
It is what everyone in the world, except fed, uses. Basically, every side out results in a point regardless if you are serving or not. Usually makes games/matches go faster.
Brian,
Then, instead of watching paint dry for an hour, it may only take 40-45 minutes.
Maybe 5 games could then be played instead of just three.
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

So Basically...

the school's time rule was a violation of the (Fed) rules?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 10:11am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF
the school's time rule was a violation of the (Fed) rules?
Mr.E
I believe the Fed merely suggests. It is up to individual states to install addenda. No violations involved.
mick
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I have no problem with getting us and the kids home at a decent hour, we just cannot do what they did here. By the book, I think it violates the Fed rules as stated, unless there is a state variance. States can trump that rule if they wish or they could use an "experimental" rule that will supercede the book.

Fed rules are open to any interp the state wants, and they can make any changes that they want. If OH didn't want to have three pointers anymore, they could remove that rule. Some states use a shot clock, other don't. Where ever you go, remember the term "when in rome, do as the romans". I think it was created because of fed rules and the states ability to twist them.

Trust me when I say that MS volleyball would be so much more enjoyable if we had rally scoring. Some states do use it, but until the Fed catches up, we're stuck.