The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I was charged once with "impersonating an official".
That's hilarious.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef,

I disagree. I have worked schools where I had to walk through the girls locker room to get to mine. I need help on making sure it's empty. Been in locker rooms right in the middle of the guys locker room. With all the other sports there are sometimes kids in there. It would be inappropriate or dangerous to put a "predator" in that situation.

Furthermore, can you imagine the liability if somehting happened to a kid and they found out this person had previously been convicted? This would be an easy fix.

I know for my coaching we do this too. Not every background check is run though. They are expensive so it is done at random. I think the association runs each and every one.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Z, do you know if they've ever sniffed out a sex offender.
Tony,

Not in our local association.

Z

Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
BktBallRef,

I disagree. I have worked schools where I had to walk through the girls locker room to get to mine. I need help on making sure it's empty. Been in locker rooms right in the middle of the guys locker room. With all the other sports there are sometimes kids in there. It would be inappropriate or dangerous to put a "predator" in that situation.
The problem here is not the possibility of a sexual predator. The problem here is putting anyone in that position. Locating a male officials dressing room inside a girls' lockerroom is stupid to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against protecting our children. But we go out of our way to do background checks in some states. Then we have schools who have male officials dress in an office that's inside a girls' lockerroom. What's wrong with this picture?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 27th, 2004 at 10:31 AM]
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:

This is my point, rainmaker. What are the chances of this actually happening? Being a sport official does NOT put one in a position to take advantage of a child, any more than being a fan would.

Tony,
I believe the line of thought is that any "authority" figure may be able to disadvantage someone's kid with less effort than an *unknown*.
mick
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Here in Washington we have to submit one every three years. From what I understand, they are basically just looking for sex offenders and trying to keep them from getting anywhere near kids.

Z
This is my point, rainmaker. What are the chances of this actually happening? Being a sport official does NOT put one in a position to take advantage of a child, any more than being a fan would. Now, I had to pass a background check to go to work for the school system and I understand that requirement. But this just seems to be overzealous.

Z, do you know if they've ever sniffed out a sex offender.
I know OF a former official who's now in prison. Something to do with a 16 year old. I think there was some connection to basketball in the aquantaince.

I don't think that he should be permitted to officiate again.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I do wonder how many of us have manufactured backgrounds.
I was charged once with "impersonating an official". [/B]
I understand this is an ongoing charge against you.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 08:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
I understand this is an ongoing charge against you.

[/B][/QUOTE]Nope, I won my case easily at the trial. I pleaded "insanity", and presented myself as "Exhibit A"..
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I do wonder how many of us have manufactured backgrounds.
I heard that it was thrown out in court because it wasn't a very credible impersonation
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
BktBallRef,

The problem here is not the possibility of a sexual predator. The problem here is putting anyone in that position. Locating a male officials dressing room inside a girls' lockerroom is stupid to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against protecting our children. But we go out of our way to do background checks in some states. Then we have schools who have male officials dress in an office that's inside a girls' lockerroom. What's wrong with this picture?

[Edited by BktBallRef on Feb 27th, 2004 at 10:31 AM]
Tony,
Most schools, where I am, only have two lockerrooms. They have to use both, one for each team, for each game. The common practice is to use the girls' lockerroom for the home team and the boys lockerroom for the visitors for the Girls Varsity game and the reverse for the Boys Varsity game. No matter which coaches' office the officials are placed in, they will be near the girls of one team.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Ok, time to delete blaire576
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 09:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Spam

Moderator?

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue May 23, 2006 at 08:47am.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:09am
Esteemed Participant

Interesting...as has been stated, we have the checks here in WA. Don't know of any sex predators being caught by it, but we did have two officials who both had previous convictions for selling drugs to kids and they were asked to not come back...just in the last few days in Oregon there has been a story of an umpire sneaking into girls locker rooms and stealing various undergarments - don't know if Oregon has the background checks, or even if the guy had a previous record for anything like this, but possible future associations he might try to umpire for should know about this...
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Not in our Association.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Not in our Association.
Not in our Association??? Meaning there is nobody on the board with possible skeletons in their closet??? Or meaning there are no background checks done?