The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Last night I was a fan at two HS regional playoff games, different officials each game. In the first game, the L offical followed the ball along the baseline, if the play went left, he went left; and vice versa. The C and T just alternated as the L re-positioned.

In the second game, the three officials remained stationary and the L didn't follow the ball from side-to-side. Most games I've observed this year ( as a rookie official) the L remained stationary.

Do most 3-whistle officials "rotate" as in senario 1, or do you remain stationary?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by red
Last night I was a fan at two HS regional playoff games, different officials each game. In the first game, the L offical followed the ball along the baseline, if the play went left, he went left; and vice versa. The C and T just alternated as the L re-positioned.

In the second game, the three officials remained stationary and the L didn't follow the ball from side-to-side. Most games I've observed this year ( as a rookie official) the L remained stationary.

Do most 3-whistle officials "rotate" as in senario 1, or do you remain stationary?
In general, the L is supposed to rotate -- but there are times when the rotation is not needed -- an impending shot or drive, most of the players are not ball-side, the defense is in a zone and the "expected" play is a pass back across the top of the key, ...

Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by red

Yes, most "experienced" Leads will often go ball side, but as bob said you don't "have to" all the time.

Just bear in mind, all of us are on the floor to assist our partners.
mick
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I use the offense as a guide for me for deciding when to rotate or not rotate as the L. If the offense is moving the ball all over the place, then you will probably not see much rotation, but if the offense is running set plays, then you should see proper rotation.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

As others have mentioned L does not have to rotate with the ball. But having said that I have yet to see or work a 3 whistle game where L does NOT rotate. I can not imagine it, I guess it is possible but I can't see it. You indicate that most of the games you have watched L stays stationary. I would talk with a veteran offical or your mentor (hint hint) about what you are seeing. There are games or times in games when rotating reduces, for the reasons mentioned by others below, but no rotations all game is wierd to me. I know that in all the pregames I have lead or been involved in we spend a good chunk of time talking about rotations.

just my thoughts.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

There are officials who are of the opinion that the fewer the number of rotations, the better.

I don't subscribe to that theory.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
There are officials who are of the opinion that the fewer the number of rotations, the better.

I don't subscribe to that theory.

Tony,
Ya need my blower?
mick
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
On the Outside the Lines episode concerning NBA officials about a month ago, there was a segment in which they discussed officials getting in to good position to make calls. In particular they showed a replay of a lead official rotating to the strong side and making a good foul call that he would have likely missed from the weakside.

In the few 3 whistle games I've ran, I always try to get strong side and work even harder at it when there is alot of post play. Its just too easy to get straight-lined w/o making the rotation. The one thing I avoid though is just running back and forth aimlessly. I've seen cheerleaders and fans (in poorly managed gyms) get caught in the lane and get ploughed over, OOB of course while going from one side of the gym to the other. I try to avoid being behind the lane as much as possible.