The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

This happen to me yesterday in a boys JV game, with 30 second left team A is down 1 I am the lead official team A scored 2pt to put them up 1 now theres about 7 seconds left after team A scored and team B has no timeout they do a quick inbound pass and as I look at the clock since am the trail now I noticed that the clock was still stuck at 7 sec. when they got to the midcourt I blew my whistle and told the coach we have to replay it over again because the clock was stop and was he mad he said that whistle probably cost them the game cause now team A can set up on defense as before he felt he had an open look at the basket for the winning shot, so was I wrong to blow the whistle?
Could I have done something different?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Well, you shouldn't have replayed the entire situation. Ball should be inbounded at the point nearest to where it was when you blew your whistle. Also if you had definite information as to how much time should have ran off the clock (i.e. backcourt count, or closely guarded count if applicable) remove that time from the clock (probably would upset B's coach even more, but it is proper to do so), and while doing so remind clock operator to watch for proper signal to start the clock. Inbound the ball following any time corrections and play on from there.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen

Yup, you could have put some punctuation in.Then I might have had a clue what you were talking about.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

don't make a comment if u can't understand it than!

English is a second language to me so if u have a problem with that than don't make any comment about, theres other official on here who don't have a problem understanding it so why do you?
Are you an ignorrant person and have to make people feel less superior than you.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: don't make a comment if u can't understand it than!

Quote:
English is a second language to me so if u have a problem with that than don't make any comment about, theres other official on here who don't have a problem understanding it so why do you?
Are you an ignorrant person and have to make people feel less superior than you.
Even if it's a second language, you should try to make your posts more readable. Like JR, I had trouble understanding your post.

On your situation, you have three options:

1) Blow the play dead immediately and inbound from the end-line with 7 seconds left.

2) Blow the play dead at mid-court, and take some time (based on your count) off the clock.

3) Keep counting and blow the whistle when you get to 7 (or 8).

None of these is a "good" solution. It's an instance where the table makes the officials on the court look bad.

Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: don't make a comment if u can't understand it than!

Quote:
[i]

3) Keep counting and blow the whistle when you get to 7 (or 8).
[/B]
From my experience, as I posted on an earlier thread, I will not do this again. I had to wipe off a 3-pointer. I was lucky, it was the end of the 1st half and that team won. I asked a coach about this play, if her team has the ball, she wants her player to know how much time is left.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bart here. I think I made a post on that other thread. You don't want to get yourself in that kind of trouble. When you notice it, stop the game and fix it. Suggestions 1 & 2 will work fine here.

Keep in mind that the offensive and defensive teams have a right to know how much time is left to play.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

First, regardless if English is your second language a few periods (.) would help and I believe they're common in most languages to seperate sentences.

Second, stop the game, fix the clock. If you're lucky, the coach that is complaining will be the home coach and you can tell him he should discuss it with his timer after the game.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: don't make a comment if u can't understand it than!

Quote:
Hey, calm down, X-men. We're all pretty sympathetic, and understand that you may have trouble with English. Don't mind JR, he has a grouchy reputation to uphold, and he has to growl at someone at least once a day.

You have been posting some interesting questions, and we'd be glad to have you keep posting, since you seem to want to improve your reffing skills. Keep working on English too, and we'll be able to keep helping you.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker - so nice and inclusive.

Ok. I get it. JR is like Simon from the show American Idol. Juulie you are Paula Abdul. Who's the other guy?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker

Ok. I get it. JR is like Simon from the show American Idol. Juulie you are Paula Abdul. Who's the other guy?
FL -- NO ONE that's met me has EVER compared me favorably to Paula Abdul!! And I've never seen that show, so I can't comment further...
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

FL -- NO ONE that's met me has EVER compared me favorably to Paula Abdul!! And I've never seen that show, so I can't comment further...
Rainmaker,

You definitely have to have seen the show to know what FL is referring to. Basically, Simon plays like a real horses a** (though deep down most realize he is just putting on an act--which seems to work for this tv show), Paula Abdul plays the sweet, understanding judge and then there is Randy, the third judge, who is the hip, cool one kinda in between the two; sometimes a 'Simon' and sometimes a 'Paula'.

The three are judges on the reality, talent show on the Fox network.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Not a lot of people know this but JR is an accomplished ventriloquist. He's got a very unusual act and he recently performed on American Idol. Here he is with his "partner". Can you guess which one is JR?

Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 04:28pm
In Memoriam

JR and his blushing bride!

Honeymoon pics to follow.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This happen to me yesterday in a boys JV game, with 30 second left team A is down 1 I am the lead official team A scored 2pt to put them up 1 now theres about 7 seconds left after team A scored and team B has no timeout they do a quick inbound pass and as I look at the clock since am the trail now I noticed that the clock was still stuck at 7 sec. when they got to the midcourt I blew my whistle and told the coach we have to replay it over again because the clock was stop and was he mad he said that whistle probably cost them the game cause now team A can set up on defense as before he felt he had an open look at the basket for the winning shot, so was I wrong to blow the whistle?
What rules were you using? You said JV game which usually means US NF rules. But under NF the clock doesn't stop after a made basket even in the last minute of a game. Was this NCAA or FIBA?

NCAA-stops. FIBA -No?

IF this was NF your clock people need a refresher course.