The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Has anyone out there heard of any rulings on temporary tattos.a friend of mine said he watched a J.V. boys game where one team had temp. tattoos with all kinds of stupid stuff written on them like gangster dude and other stupidity.He said the other teams coach complained but the refs let it go.Is there a rule you could use to stop this?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
Has anyone out there heard of any rulings on temporary tattos.a friend of mine said he watched a J.V. boys game where one team had temp. tattoos with all kinds of stupid stuff written on them like gangster dude and other stupidity.He said the other teams coach complained but the refs let it go.Is there a rule you could use to stop this?
Not any rule that is in a rulebook. You might have a local rule that might apply.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

JRutledge is right. However, if the "stupid stuff" is about the opponent then it can be considered taunting.
Examples: "tigers suck" "kill the colts"
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I agree that we shouldn't let taunting in to the game in any form, but I think the "taunting tattoo" would be a hard call to sell. Every week we go into gym's with banners hung all over the place that express the same sentiments as "tigers suck" and "kill the colts". If I felt it were going to be a problem I would simply ask the player to cover it prior to the game. At the same time I hope that today's high school athletes are mature enough to handle something like this. If another player's taunting tattoos are somebody's biggest problem in life I would love to have their life.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
I agree that we shouldn't let taunting in to the game in any form, but I think the "taunting tattoo" would be a hard call to sell. Every week we go into gym's with banners hung all over the place that express the same sentiments as "tigers suck" and "kill the colts". If I felt it were going to be a problem I would simply ask the player to cover it prior to the game.

I don't think that it would be a hard sell at at all. If an official thinks that the tattoos are meant to taunt the other team, then it's taunting. That simple. The taunting rule applies to the teams though, not the crowd. That doesn't mean that you can't ask game management to take down some banners or posters too, if you feel that they are particularly offensive. Btw, there was an intepretation put out a few years ago that said "obscene" tatts had to be covered.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I had a JV game last week where a bunch of players on the visiting team had drawn magic marker tatoos on themselves. None were offensive or taunting in nature, but I didn't like the fact that as they started to sweat, it the ink was coming off on the home team's white uniforms. I just hope the ink came off in the wash the next day. I thought about mentioning it to the coach just as a FYI type of thing, but I didn't because it was a close game all the way and I couldn't think of anything in the rulesbook that allowed me to address it.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every week we go into gym's with banners hung all over the place that express the same sentiments as "tigers suck" and "kill the colts".
Your gym administrators allow that? Around here, a negative sign like that would be taken down by the gym manager as soon as they saw it.

I don't think any of our coaches around here would allow those negative or "gang" tattoos either. Your local association (if you have one) might want to bring that to the attention of the offending schools AD.

Z
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I never heard of a gym manager.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sentiments as "tigers suck"
Why am I not surprised that someone called BoomerSooner would say that?