The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
My question is about the opening tip. Team Red(A) and White(B) are tipping it up A1 tips it once and catches it, partner calls a violation. Where does AP go? I told the scorekeeper to give it to Red next AP opportunity.

Is this right, since A got control of it first does it give White AP also?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
My question is about the opening tip. Team Red(A) and White(B) are tipping it up A1 tips it once and catches it, partner calls a violation. Where does AP go? I told the scorekeeper to give it to Red next AP opportunity.

Is this right, since A got control of it first does it give White AP also?
If A violates, B gets the ball, A gets the arrow.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I seem to recall a case book play suggesting that if A1 caught the tip, B received the ball and the arrow. This comes from the fact that the violation is a result of A1 catching and thereby possessing the tip. Therefore A1 had initial possession - possession arrow to B - whistle and violation on A1. Ball to be inbounded by B.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 02:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
I seem to recall a case book play suggesting that if A1 caught the tip, B received the ball and the arrow. This comes from the fact that the violation is a result of A1 catching and thereby possessing the tip. Therefore A1 had initial possession - possession arrow to B - whistle and violation on A1. Ball to be inbounded by B.

That was a rule change 2 years ago. Useta be the rule. No longer. If A1 catches the tip, it's now B's ball OOB and A get's the AP. New case book play is 6.3.1SitC(d).
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I have seen the violation called wrong twice this year. After the ball hits the ground (i.e. the jump ball ends when the ball contacts the floor) the jumper may catch the ball. Both games I was a spectator.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Jump Ball

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
I have seen the violation called wrong twice this year. After the ball hits the ground (i.e. the jump ball ends when the ball contacts the floor) the jumper may catch the ball. Both games I was a spectator.
YOU ARE CORRECT!

My initial thought was that you had made a mistake with your statement, but upon further review of the jump ball rules, I discovered that you are indeed correct.

I had previously thought that neither jumper could be the first to gain possession of the ball, but this is not true.

NFHS 6-4-7c ...
Neither jumper shall:
a.) Touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.
b.) Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
c.) Catch the ball.
d.) touch the ball more than twice.

The jump ball and these restrictions end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, the floor, a basket, or backboard. (Boldface added for emphasis)

Old Sun Feb 29, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Dang...
Wouldn't you know it. I'm working a game yesterday when the exact situation occurs from the original post. I set the arrow toward the violating team. Partner has it changed and doesn't even tell me. I ask him about the arrow being wrong and he tells me the old rule. Kinda dismisses me too. I told him we'll go his way but, he's wrong.

Later we find the rule and he apologizes. This goes to show, it's not enough for us to know the rules, our partners have to be up on them too. Otherwise, we both look bad. (not like anyone else knew the rule)
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I just want to make sure I am reading this right so I don't sound stupid in a game. As if I don't sound stupid already.

On a jump ball, either of the jumpers may control the tip in the circle IF the ball has hit the ground, or another player, first.

Also, if my tall kid steals the tip, the ball will go to the other team, but I will get the arrow.

I have a co-worker who is a HS official who disagreed with the first statement. Could you give me exact rule and casebook numbers please?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterV

On a jump ball, either of the jumpers may control the tip in the circle IF the ball has hit the ground, or another player, first.

I have a co-worker who is a HS official who disagreed with the first statement. Could you give me exact rule and casebook numbers please?
Coach, One-Whistle cited the rule for you above, and also copied it out of the book as well- i.e. Rule 6-4-7.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

?????

Another jump ball question, I'm sure it's in the book. . .A1 and B1 jump, the ball is tipped out of the circle. A2 and B2 grab the ball simultaneously. Refs signal jump ball. Who jumps????
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

A2 and B2 now jump.