The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charge Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1241-charge-call.html)

Smoke Wed Dec 13, 2000 12:18am

Orange 1 drives the lane releases the ball then runs into white defender 1 who is clearly set. White 2 jumps up and goaltends. I know in high school, any player control foul(charge call) the basket does not count but somebody in the crowd said because it was a goaltending the shot should have counted. I say no way

PAULK1 Wed Dec 13, 2000 12:45am

In your case the ball becomes dead immediately
upon the PC foul. Therefore a deadball cannot be
goaltended(NF).

JRutledge Wed Dec 13, 2000 02:20am

Not so fast my friend!!!!!

I would have never believed it myself unless I did not see it myself. Rule 7-5-7 says that you can have a goaltend on a player control foul. The ball is not technically dead, but you will not count the basket under any other cases. It is even in the casebook under play 7-5-7a. You can also take the ball out anywhere along the baseline too.

Quote:

Originally posted by PAULK1
In your case the ball becomes dead immediately
upon the PC foul. Therefore a deadball cannot be
goaltended(NF).

Indy_Ref Wed Dec 13, 2000 09:37am

Hence...

basket counts and no FT's, PC foul on A1, B takes ball out & can run the baseline.

JRutledge Wed Dec 13, 2000 11:40am

Re: Hence...

Exactly!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Indy_Ref
basket counts and no FT's, PC foul on A1, B takes ball out & can run the baseline.

Ralph Stubenthal Wed Dec 13, 2000 12:32pm

Why is that situation a player control foul in the first place? You said A1 released the ball and then ran into B1. Unless he was airborne and landed on B1, there would be no PC foul. It would be a charge since the ball had left his hand prior to the contact. If it was real close, it might be hard to sell, but no PC. The goaltending would cause the basket to count and then proceed with the push by A1 according to the bonus situation. Yes or no?

Indy_Ref Wed Dec 13, 2000 12:38pm

Ralph, you are correct if the play was a charge and not a PC foul. I was assuming Smoke had called a PC foul on an airborne shooter. In your situation, you shoot if the team is in bonus. Otherwise, you take the ball out-of-bounds under the basket.

Todd VandenAkker Wed Dec 13, 2000 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
Why is that situation a player control foul in the first place? You said A1 released the ball and then ran into B1. Unless he was airborne and landed on B1, there would be no PC foul.
I read the initial post to mean the player was still airborne at the time of the crash. In NCAA men, it would be a charge instead of PC, but for NCAA women and high school ball it would be PC. In either case, the shot doesn't end until it goes through or is clearly going to miss, so the goaltending does get enforced. Count 2 points, then penalize the foul.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 13, 2000 06:47pm

Re: Re: Hence...

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Exactly!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Indy_Ref

Not!

If GT before contact, it is as quoted above.

If contact before GT, no basket, PC foul, B get ball nearest foul. You can only goaltend a try. The try ends when the ball becomes dead at the time of the PC foul.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Dec 13th, 2000 at 06:31 PM]

PAULK1 Wed Dec 13, 2000 07:05pm

EXACTLY

BktBallRef Wed Dec 13, 2000 07:28pm

Re: Not so fast my friend!!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]I would have never believed it myself unless I did not see it myself. Rule 7-5-7 says that you can have a goaltend on a player control foul. The ball is not technically dead, but you will not count the basket under any other cases. It is even in the casebook under play 7-5-7a. You can also take the ball out anywhere along the baseline too.

Just to clarify: If the GT occurs prior to the PC foul, count the basket. If the PC foul occurs before the GT, then there is no try and therefore no GT.