The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

i found out that converse whistles have been discontinued and i have orderd the new balance 609 shoe as a replacement.

anyone purchased these shoes and if so, how do you like them? also, do they polish up well?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

great shoe

Never wore the Converse but I love the 608. I had tried the Nike Air Down Low before Christmas and my legs were hurting. Went back to the 608 and things have been fine since.

Mulk
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

converse is re issuing the shiny version again...check out theofficialschoice.com
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I ordered the New Balance 609 before the season began. From day one, they have been the most comfortable ref shoe
I have used. NO BREAK-IN phase was needed at all. No blisters, no chaffing of my ankles, etc. They are superior (for me) to the Converse Running Ref and Whistle models I have used in the past.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I ordered the New Balance 609 before the season began. From day one, they have been the most comfortable ref shoe
I have used. NO BREAK-IN phase was needed at all. No blisters, no chaffing of my ankles, etc. They are superior (for me) to the Converse Running Ref and Whistle models I have used in the past.
I have to agree. I switched in mid season and my legs feel 100% better than they did in the beginning of the season with my Converse Whistles.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
I have worn both the 608 and the 609 and like the 608 much better for cushioning. It is a discontinued model but can still be found on the internet. I occassionally get shin splints with the 609's. In both, I wear SofSole AIR insoles which are fantastic! I also bought a pair of Nike Air Max's this year but they do not take Leather Lustre very well and have quite a bit of white that has to be covered up. The 609's look great with Leather Lustre and the 608's don't hold it quite as well. I am always shopping for the perfect pair but haven't found them yet.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Thumbs up Love 'em

Great Shoes!! and since i have shin splints, these shoes were very accomodating to the Dr Scholl Dynastep Sport inserts, haven't had any leg/back problems since!!
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up NB 609 a good shoe.

I like mine quite well. They have good cushion and shine up well.

Surprisingly the are a little more narrow than I thought they would be. NewBalance is known for their wide shoes but my 609s have a relatively narrow look. They accomodate my wide foot quite well but they do have a narrow appearance.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by donj
i found out that converse whistles have been discontinued and i have orderd the new balance 609 shoe as a replacement.

anyone purchased these shoes and if so, how do you like them? also, do they polish up well?

Best shoe I have had in my short career. I kind of thought the whistles soles didnt last very long.

With the 609's, if you get a shine on them right away, yes, they shine up very well.

I'm starting to see NIKEs out there but with a silver swoosh and some silver along the bottoms. Is it cool now to have a little color on the shoe besides black?

Larks
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

I also love them. Getting ready to buy my second pair though the first ones are holding up after a season and a half of hard wear.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm starting to see NIKEs out there but with a silver swoosh and some silver along the bottoms. Is it cool now to have a little color on the shoe besides black?

It might be cool, but not allowed in my association, nor any others in the state (that I know of). All HS and college officials here use black only.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

I've been wearing the 609s for a season now and love them. I just got some Spenco inserts for them (after the recommendations from others here) and they're great too. The 609 takes a shine nicely and the EEEE width fits me well. My only issue with them is that the little panels near the toe box have torn out. Since I have not heard of that happening to anybody else, I'm assuming I just got a slightly wonky pair. But a little bit of shapie covered it just fine. I'm waiting until the season ends to buy another pair for next year.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

I found some Adidas a3 leather cross trainers that are by far the best shoe I've ever worn.They have 3/4 of an inch of foam padding and shock absorbing on the heal.They shine up great,but they do have a lot of grey on them that needs to be touched up every 3-4 games.The best part is I got them on sale for 2 for $89.00!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Quote:

It might be cool, but not allowed in my association, nor any others in the state (that I know of). All HS and college officials here use black only.
Used to sort of be that way in my association. If 1 wore black, then all wore black. Same with white star/swoosh. For the past couple of years, I have noticed a lot of "different" shoes. Nike fits me better, but a lot of the guys use NB. Tried them on a couple of times, but could not find size. They seemed to come either "D" or "EEEE", but no "EE". Called NB (about 2 different types) and they said they didn't make them in "EE". So, it's either wide or super-wide.

Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Received and wore the NB 609's tonight for the first time doing a JV/Var boy's game and have to say that the shoes felt great. Both teams played up-tempo ball. Lot better feel and more cushion than the converse whistles. Put regulare block polish on them and they shined up pretty nice. So far I have to say they were a good investment.