The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

HS games. Three years ago I had a partner tell me he was surprised to see me do a 5 sec. count while I was at L. Then last week I had an official tell me in HS the L doesn't do the 5 sec. count. We went back and forth on the subject and it ended when I asked him about both of us watching the ball. He didn't have an answer for that question. Am I missing something?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Cool We are!

If you are missing something then I am missing the same thing!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I count the 5 seconds all the time as "L"........Especially when the ball and defender is in my primary of course in Washington state Girls BBall is closely guarded on a held ball anywhere on the court.

I would hope that if the ball is below the freethrow line extended the L is picking that up and the "T" is looking inside the paint or for the next competitive match-up.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

me too. I count the 5 at Lead. Bart, anyone ever give you a reason why you wouldn't?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I think he said the L is focus on the contact.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That official might be used to the NCAAM 3-whistle mechanics. In those games, the L never has a visible count. The Trail will take the closely-guarded count.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
That official might be used to the NCAAM 3-whistle mechanics. In those games, the L never has a visible count. The Trail will take the closely-guarded count.
When I was bouncing back and forth between 2- and 3-whistle mechanics, my biggest problem was remembering to officiate in my primary in 2-whistle. Ball would come down in my corner and my nose would still be in the paint. I recovered in time to avoid embarrassment and it's funny looking back, but still....
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm only talking about 3-whistle. While I will admit, I don't think I have ever had a 5 sec. violation from the L. I still think its your responsibility for the count. I know in NCAAW, we are responsible as the L.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question 3 Years?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I'm only talking about 3-whistle. While I will admit, I don't think I have ever had a 5 sec. violation from the L. I still think its your responsibility for the count. I know in NCAAW, we are responsible as the L.
Unless you are doing NCAA Women's ball, the L is not suppose to have a 5 second count. So the question that was asked of you was a valid one. I cannot believe you are just finding this out?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

JRut, Please explan why? And where is this in the Mechanics book? And Yes, this is the 1st I've heard of this. Maybe, its because in HS the area outside the paint is a small area for the L, and usually there is no time to count before the post player starts his move to the paint.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JRut, Please explan why?
Do not have an official answer, but I am sure it is because the primary job of the Lead is to cover plays close to the paint. It just does not make sense to have a five second count all over the court if the player moves. Not an issue in Women's games.

Quote:
And where is this in the Mechanics book?
Page 48, number 302.

Quote:
And Yes, this is the 1st I've heard of this. Maybe, its because in HS the area outside the paint is a small area for the L, and usually there is no time to count before the post player starts his move to the paint.
As I stated before, it would not be practical for the Lead to have a 5 second count, when the count could continue all over the court. NCAA Women does not have that issue, they only have the count when the ball handler is holding the ball, not dribbling. And the NBA also does not have a "regular" 5 second count, and that is where the NCAA Women get their basic philosophies from.

Peace

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

PA mechanics

In PA 3-man mechanics, we are taught that the lead never has a visible 5 sec count except in throw-in administration. The T is suppose to cover that area for closely guarded counts.

This may change from state to state.

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

2 person or 3 person? As a lead in 2 person your coverage is free throw line and below.You should have a count if you need to apply it! GO Bart!!!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: #302

Quote:
It just does not make sense to have a five second count all over the court if the player moves. [/B]
Now this does kinda makes sense. The count starts in my primary, dribbler leaves the area to the top of key. I guess you wouldn't want the L looking at the top. However, we are only talking 5 sec. and the C and T have to do the same and its not a problem.

Quote:
And where is this in the Mechanics book?

Page 48, number 302. [/B]
Questionable
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

great response, we all get confused with the NCAA 3 whistle rule vs the high school rule.