The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "L" 5 sec. count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12341-l-5-sec-count.html)

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 19, 2004 09:57am

HS games. Three years ago I had a partner tell me he was surprised to see me do a 5 sec. count while I was at L. Then last week I had an official tell me in HS the L doesn't do the 5 sec. count. We went back and forth on the subject and it ended when I asked him about both of us watching the ball. He didn't have an answer for that question. Am I missing something?

DJ Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:19am

We are!

If you are missing something then I am missing the same thing!

Ron Pilo Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:31am

I count the 5 seconds all the time as "L"........Especially when the ball and defender is in my primary ;) of course in Washington state Girls BBall is closely guarded on a held ball anywhere on the court.

I would hope that if the ball is below the freethrow line extended the L is picking that up and the "T" is looking inside the paint or for the next competitive match-up.

footlocker Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:49am

me too. I count the 5 at Lead. Bart, anyone ever give you a reason why you wouldn't?

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:32am

I think he said the L is focus on the contact.

ChuckElias Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:35am

That official might be used to the NCAAM 3-whistle mechanics. In those games, the L never has a visible count. The Trail will take the closely-guarded count.

Rich Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
That official might be used to the NCAAM 3-whistle mechanics. In those games, the L never has a visible count. The Trail will take the closely-guarded count.
When I was bouncing back and forth between 2- and 3-whistle mechanics, my biggest problem was remembering to officiate in my primary in 2-whistle. Ball would come down in my corner and my nose would still be in the paint. I recovered in time to avoid embarrassment and it's funny looking back, but still....

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:21pm

I'm only talking about 3-whistle. While I will admit, I don't think I have ever had a 5 sec. violation from the L. I still think its your responsibility for the count. I know in NCAAW, we are responsible as the L.

JRutledge Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:29pm

3 Years?

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I'm only talking about 3-whistle. While I will admit, I don't think I have ever had a 5 sec. violation from the L. I still think its your responsibility for the count. I know in NCAAW, we are responsible as the L.
Unless you are doing NCAA Women's ball, the L is not suppose to have a 5 second count. So the question that was asked of you was a valid one. I cannot believe you are just finding this out?

Peace

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:45pm

JRut, Please explan why? And where is this in the Mechanics book? And Yes, this is the 1st I've heard of this. Maybe, its because in HS the area outside the paint is a small area for the L, and usually there is no time to count before the post player starts his move to the paint.

JRutledge Thu Feb 19, 2004 02:07pm

Quote:

JRut, Please explan why?
Do not have an official answer, but I am sure it is because the primary job of the Lead is to cover plays close to the paint. It just does not make sense to have a five second count all over the court if the player moves. Not an issue in Women's games.

Quote:

And where is this in the Mechanics book?
Page 48, number 302.

Quote:

And Yes, this is the 1st I've heard of this. Maybe, its because in HS the area outside the paint is a small area for the L, and usually there is no time to count before the post player starts his move to the paint.
As I stated before, it would not be practical for the Lead to have a 5 second count, when the count could continue all over the court. NCAA Women does not have that issue, they only have the count when the ball handler is holding the ball, not dribbling. And the NBA also does not have a "regular" 5 second count, and that is where the NCAA Women get their basic philosophies from.

Peace

Ref in PA Thu Feb 19, 2004 02:23pm

PA mechanics

In PA 3-man mechanics, we are taught that the lead never has a visible 5 sec count except in throw-in administration. The T is suppose to cover that area for closely guarded counts.

This may change from state to state.

dvacha Thu Feb 19, 2004 03:16pm

2 person or 3 person? As a lead in 2 person your coverage is free throw line and below.You should have a count if you need to apply it! GO Bart!!!

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 19, 2004 04:19pm

Re: #302

Quote:

It just does not make sense to have a five second count all over the court if the player moves. [/B]
Now this does kinda makes sense. The count starts in my primary, dribbler leaves the area to the top of key. I guess you wouldn't want the L looking at the top. However, we are only talking 5 sec. and the C and T have to do the same and its not a problem.

Quote:

And where is this in the Mechanics book?

Page 48, number 302. [/B]
Questionable

CLAY Thu Feb 19, 2004 04:37pm

Chuck,

great response, we all get confused with the NCAA 3 whistle rule vs the high school rule.