The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Thumbs up

ESPN Classis will be broacasting the famous high school basketball game of Milan vs. Muncie Central, Live Saturday at 9:30 p.m. ET. This was the game the was the basis of the the movie Hoosiers. Supposedly there is one stretch of 4 minutes with a Milan player just standing there holding the ball. You got to wonder what Muncie Central was doing for those 4 minutes.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I used to live in Indy - I've seen the video of the final shot, but I'm looking forward to seeing the game film. And, yes, Bobby Plump, who hit the game-winner, spent four minutes before that holding the ball on his hip. Since Muncie Central was leading 28-26 at that point, they were content to let him stand there (Milan eventually took a time out, then Plump missed a shot).

As a sometime radio announcer, I'm wondering what he did during those four minutes!

[Edited by OverAndBack on Feb 19th, 2004 at 08:38 AM]
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

If it's live, I can only assume that they are showing the 2004 tilt between these two teams, and not the 1954 game. Even so, they will probably have alot of footage from the 1954 game. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
My mistake in posting. The original game is going to be broadcast from 6-7:30 and again from 9:30-11 (ET). The live game (this year's rematch) is on at 7:30.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

The theme of the movie was David v. Goliath. Is Milan still a much smaller school than Muncie or have things changed? Just wondering why they are playing if their enrollments differ, now that Indiana has gone to a classification state playoff system.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 07:47am
Huck Finn

Nevadaref, they are probably playing because it is Indiana history. Whoever scheduled the game doesn't really have to like the new system. I'm from Indiana and I hate the new system. My high school is in the biggest class but that doesn't matter because there are still rivalry games. I miss going to a packed high school game with 8,000 people there! We had the 3rd largest gym in the state.