The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I ref mainly 8th grade ball, NFHS rules, 80-100 games a year. I do a little bit of high school when opportunity presents. I don't follow much college ball, nor do I know NCAA rules.

I was watching Wake Forest/Cinncinnati today, and I noticed that when they line up for free throws, B1 and B2 on the baseline are all over the block. Not only are they all over the block, but they are actually leaning on guys in the next lane space. What is up with that? Is that another rule that I have to ignore to advance to the next level, or is the NCAA rule different? How's a guy supposed to know what to call and what not to call? Anyone that can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it!
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Different Rule.

NCAA Men's Rules are different. The players can stand on the block.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen a couple of times recently where there were no offensive players lined up along the free-throw lane, but four defensive players. Yet the defensive players did not slide down to the second spots. Was this just coincidence, or can the defense not occupy those spots in NCAA mens?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I've seen a couple of times recently where there were no offensive players lined up along the free-throw lane, but four defensive players. Yet the defensive players did not slide down to the second spots. Was this just coincidence, or can the defense not occupy those spots in NCAA mens?
Yes, they can move to occupy an open space (within the 4 - 2 limitations), but why would they want to? It's better to be closer to the shooter (behind you) than closeser to your teammate in front of you.

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:17am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Yes, they can move to occupy an open space (within the 4 - 2 limitations), but why would they want to? It's better to be closer to the shooter (behind you) than closeser to your teammate in front of you.

Uhmmm, Bob, is this correct for Men's? Because in Women's NCAA the spots can't be taken by the defense.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Uhmmm, Bob, is this correct for Men's? Because in Women's NCAA the spots can't be taken by the defense.
The original question asked about NCAAM -- that's the answer I gave (based on my understanding of the rule).

Had the original question asked about NCAAW, I would have given a different answer.

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
The original question asked about NCAAM -- that's the answer I gave (based on my understanding of the rule).

Had the original question asked about NCAAW, I would have given a different answer.
Nah, no need for different answers, Bob. Just cut and paste my sig line. You can use it, no charge!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
[

Oops...sorry...didn't see an M on the end of the NCAA in the original post(probably cause it's not there)...and didn't know the Men could move down if they wanted too, which was why I asked my question.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Oops...sorry...didn't see an M on the end of the NCAA in the original post(probably cause it's not there)...
Yeah, rocky, but the post did say that they were on the blocks. That's not gonna happen on the women's side. . .
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
[

Oops...sorry...didn't see an M on the end of the NCAA in the original post(probably cause it's not there)...and didn't know the Men could move down if they wanted too, which was why I asked my question.
Quoting from the (and I recognize it's not the original -- but it IS what I quoted in my answer) post: "or can the defense not occupy those spots in NCAA mens"
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 02:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Ok, I gotcha...you were talking about the second original post...now I see why I was confused...still, I didn't know the men could move down, which was why I asked my third original question...whew...this is getting too complicated...
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, in NCAAW, there is no low block. All players move up one space.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody have a comment on the rest of the original post - the part about guys leaning into each other before the free throw is shot? Is that nothing or is it something?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Anybody have a comment on the rest of the original post - the part about guys leaning into each other before the free throw is shot? Is that nothing or is it something?
I didn't see nothin'!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
It's either nothing or "knock it off!"