The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Let me preface this rather long post by saying that I have never worked a 3-person game as an official and I am not familiar with NCAA rules. I am trying to learn 3-person mechanics and thought I would take the opportunity to attend a local JC game played under NCAA rules. Two of the officials working this game have at least 20 years of experience and have worked many high school state tournaments.

1. During the women's game I noticed A1 pick up her dribble to pass. The passing lane closed as she picked up her pivot foot and she did not release the ball. Official immediately whistled a travel. Is the NCAA rule different than the NFHS?
I know I have whistled this too quickly myself sometimes.

2. Team A passing the ball around the perimeter. Two opposing players were battling in the post. Whistle blows and official calls ???. No foul or violation was called. Official just said something to the players and one of the benches. Ball was put in play by the team A from the side. Is there any provision for this in NCAA rules?

3. Men's game. Close game all the way with visitor up 90 to 88. End of the game visitors make a couple of passes and ball reaches the 3 point line front court. Time expires and the horn blows. Jubilant visiting player take three dribbles after the horn and executes a tremendous dunk. The two closest officials look at each, shrug shoulders and run off the court. Could this have been called a technical foul under NCAA rules? Would you call it?

4. During a free throw the ball bounced off the rim and hit the shot clock above the back board then fell into the basket. Official blows his whistle and I think he is calling a violation but his whistle is for a time out. I am certain the ball hit the shot clock because it changed direction. Is this a violation under NCAA rules? If so which official has the responsibility to make the call?

5. Now for the mechanics question. When a foul was whistled the calling official would always go to the table with the information but then stay as trail at table side. This seemed to cause an occasionaly discussion between the calling official and the bench especially when free throws were involved. I thought in 3 person the calling official went opposite to the C position. What is the proper mechanic?

To all of you who waded through this mess, thanks for your answers.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
Let me preface this rather long post by saying that I have never worked a 3-person game as an official and I am not familiar with NCAA rules. I am trying to learn 3-person mechanics and thought I would take the opportunity to attend a local JC game played under NCAA rules. Two of the officials working this game have at least 20 years of experience and have worked many high school state tournaments.

1. During the women's game I noticed A1 pick up her dribble to pass. The passing lane closed as she picked up her pivot foot and she did not release the ball. Official immediately whistled a travel. Is the NCAA rule different than the NFHS?
I know I have whistled this too quickly myself sometimes.

2. Team A passing the ball around the perimeter. Two opposing players were battling in the post. Whistle blows and official calls ???. No foul or violation was called. Official just said something to the players and one of the benches. Ball was put in play by the team A from the side. Is there any provision for this in NCAA rules?

3. Men's game. Close game all the way with visitor up 90 to 88. End of the game visitors make a couple of passes and ball reaches the 3 point line front court. Time expires and the horn blows. Jubilant visiting player take three dribbles after the horn and executes a tremendous dunk. The two closest officials look at each, shrug shoulders and run off the court. Could this have been called a technical foul under NCAA rules? Would you call it?

4. During a free throw the ball bounced off the rim and hit the shot clock above the back board then fell into the basket. Official blows his whistle and I think he is calling a violation but his whistle is for a time out. I am certain the ball hit the shot clock because it changed direction. Is this a violation under NCAA rules? If so which official has the responsibility to make the call?

5. Now for the mechanics question. When a foul was whistled the calling official would always go to the table with the information but then stay as trail at table side. This seemed to cause an occasionaly discussion between the calling official and the bench especially when free throws were involved. I thought in 3 person the calling official went opposite to the C position. What is the proper mechanic?

To all of you who waded through this mess, thanks for your answers.
1. Same rule
2. Maybe someone's shoe fell off...?
3. By rule could have called it. I would not.
4. Yes, violation. Either outside official has it (C or T). Bad form for L to get this.
5. New for ncaa mens this year, second year (I think?) for womens ncaa. The discussion is what they call "constructive dialogue". I like it.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
1. Dushe picked up her pivot foot and she did not release the ball. Official immediately whistled a travel. Is the NCAA rule different than the NFHS?

Nope. Same ruling. If it happened as you describe, bad call.

Quote:
2. Whistle blows and official calls ???. No foul or violation was called. Official just said something to the players and one of the benches. Ball was put in play by the team A from the side. Is there any provision for this in NCAA rules?

Sure, it's called an inadvertant whistle. I doubt that this was actually inadvertant, but that's how you treat it. If the whistle was intentional to settle the players down, then that's not how I'd personally choose to handle it. But I know other officials who might use this technique.

Quote:
3. Jubilant visiting player take three dribbles after the horn and executes a tremendous dunk. Could this have been called a technical foul under NCAA rules? Would you call it?

Yes it could and no I wouldn't.

Quote:
4. I am certain the ball hit the shot clock because it changed direction. Is this a violation under NCAA rules? If so which official has the responsibility to make the call?

Yes, it should be a violation. Either the T or C can call it, but I would expect the T to have it (C may be focused on bodies during rebounding).

Quote:
5. Now for the mechanics question. When a foul was whistled the calling official would always go to the table with the information but then stay as trail at table side. I thought in 3 person the calling official went opposite to the C position. What is the proper mechanic?
The calling official does not always become Trail (that's the NBA mechanic), but you are right in that s/he stays table-side (with rare exceptions).

Men's officials started doing this for the current season; women's officials started it last season, I believe. It does generate discussion, but that's the whole reason for doing it. FED still sends the calling official opposite.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Sigh.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 02:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Sigh.
Some people are good.
Some people are fast.
Some people are good and fast.
Some people are you.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Some people are good.
Some people are fast.
Some people are you.
That makes me good and slow. As I'm sure Mrs. Jurassic has reminded you, faster isn't always better.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 04:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Some people are good.
Some people are fast.
Some people are you.
That makes me good and slow. As I'm sure Mrs. Jurassic has reminded you, faster isn't always better.
Saw a great t-shirt in a store window this morning. On the front, it had a big arrow pointing up. Above that was written "The Man". It also had another big arrow pointing straight down. Beneath that arrow was written "The Legend!". Mrs. Jurassic told me that if I wore that, it would be false advertising. Double sigh!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Saw a great t-shirt in a store window this morning.
She got ya to go shopping after all, huh? How's your wallet feeling?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 04:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Saw a great t-shirt in a store window this morning.
She got ya to go shopping after all, huh? How's your wallet feeling?
Did you ever hear a wallet whimper? That answer your question?