The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Had a sit the other day, which prompted a quick visit to rule and case book..came across this

Quote:
MULTIPLE FOUL
4.19.10 SITUATION: B1 and B2 foul A1 at the same time while A1 is: (a) driving down the lane; (b) in the act of shooting a successful or unsuccessful two-point try; (c) a successful three-point try; or (d) an unsuccessful three-point try. Ruling: One free throw for each foul in (a), (b) and (c) and two free throws for each in (d). (10-6 Penalty Summary 6a, b)
made me think, how is this affected by bonus or is it? casebook makes no reference to bonus-no bonus situation, so do we administer the free throws for (a) regardless of whether or not we are in bonus? (b) (c) and (d) are all shooting fouls so that goes without saying.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Yes, you have one FT for each foul,unless the foul was intentional or flagrant, if they are not in the bonus. Two shots for each intentional or flagrant foul, plus ball for throw-in.

Summary of Penalties- 6a(1) and 6b(1) plus NOTE.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 19th, 2004 at 11:21 AM]
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

It will be a cold day in Hell before I ever make that call.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

So do B1 and B2 both recieve a foul?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Cold Day

I agree, it was just one of those things that I read while reviewing the casebook..
My son asked me about a sit like this, he's 16 and officiates 4-5 grade rec ball...my answer...don't call it figure that one foul occured first and go with that...forget the complication of a multiple foul...

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 01:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
LDUB,
Yes. Both players would be penalized.

If one, or both/all, of the fouls is intentional or flagrant, let's go get both/all of them. But if both/all the fouls are common fouls, try to get the first, ...or hardest, or whatever-you-may-choose, but only one.

mick
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Ooohh yes. Both get a foul in the book and two towards the team. Of course now the coach is going to tell you how stupid you are (and you likely are if you called the multiple foul) and that this can't possibly be correct... rant rave scream holler... T-bone. Third foul for team. Sit down coach.

There goes your final-four prospects.

Someone else asked if you shoot even though we aren't in the bonus and the foul was committed against a dribbler...

I was surprised when I first learned this but the answer is YES! See the Summary of Penalties following section 10-6.

Under item 6.a(1) it says "Multiple foul: a. One free throw for each foul: (1) No try invovled.

Therefore, dribbling or any other non-shooting act and you are the recipient of a multiple foul... you get one shot per foul, independent of the offending team's foul count.

I guess the rule makers consider multiple fouls to be rather intentional.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:17pm
In Memoriam

Re: Absolutely

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
[/B]
Therefore, dribbling or any other non-shooting act and you are the recipient of a multiple foul... you get one shot per foul, independent of the offending team's foul count.

I guess the rule makers consider multiple fouls to be rather intentional.

[/B][/QUOTE]Not really. If either of the fouls is ruled intentional, you get 2 FT's for that one, and 1 FT for the other foul. If both are called intentional, then 4 FT's are taken. A throw-in at the closest OOB spot to the intentional foul goes along with the call too.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Absolutely

Quote:
Not really. If either of the fouls is ruled intentional, you get 2 FT's for that one, and 1 FT for the other foul. If both are called intentional, then 4 FT's are taken. A throw-in at the closest OOB spot to the intentional foul goes along with the call too. [/B]
What, you mean the team doesn't get the next TWO possessions?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:46pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Absolutely

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Not really. If either of the fouls is ruled intentional, you get 2 FT's for that one, and 1 FT for the other foul. If both are called intentional, then 4 FT's are taken. A throw-in at the closest OOB spot to the intentional foul goes along with the call too.
What, you mean the team doesn't get the next TWO possessions? [/B]
You could probably get away with that too. Nobody's gonna have a clue what you're calling anyway.

Can you imagine calling an intentional foul? And then getting the penalties wrong after you did call it?