The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I have a couple questions about "excessive" time outs. First, after an excessive time has been called and granted should the official give the team their time out first and then shoot the two foul shots and the ball at mid court, or should you shoot the fould shots and then allow the teams there 60 second time out. I have also heard arguments that the team does not even get the 60 second time out for an excessive time out, but its only purpose is to stop the clock. Which is correct??
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Grant the TO. Take the 60 seconds. Shoot the 2 free throws. Inbound the ball at the Dividing Line.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a case book with me, don't even know if it is in there, I kind of doubt it. I would be inclined to shoot the free throws before administering the TO. Just a gut feeling I have, but if anyone has the rules or cases to cite the other way, I certainly will be convinced...
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
I don't have a case book with me, don't even know if it is in there, I kind of doubt it. I would be inclined to shoot the free throws before administering the TO. Just a gut feeling I have, but if anyone has the rules or cases to cite the other way, I certainly will be convinced...
I have the most recent casebook...and it addresses everything except the specific order. If you go by "order in which it occurred", then I'd be inclined to do the TO first. If I have the freedom to interpret, then I shoot first and give the TO second.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I would take the TO first

When you think about it, there is no penalty for asking for the TO. Once a TO is granted, then it is the violation. So, finish the TO, then shoot. It seems like it would help the game flow better to do it this way to me, although it has never happened.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

The reason my gut tells me otherwise is so that both coaches know what the score is when play resumes...I am not sure really which would be the better flow...just what my gut tells me....
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

I would say the TO first, then the shots. Thinking about it, white calls a TO with none left. Whistles blows, Timeout White. Players start going to the benches, you report the TO to the table they tell you white has none left. Players are already in the huddle or to the team area by now, so it seems smoother to the flow to let them stay there or keep going, signal the T for excessive TO so both coaches know it, finish the TO and shoot the free throws.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
The reason my gut tells me otherwise is so that both coaches know what the score is when play resumes...I am not sure really which would be the better flow...just what my gut tells me....
How is this situation any different from any other ("legal") TO before free-throws?

Have the TO, then shoot the throws.