The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

A situation that seems to come up a lot for me and I am never quite sure how to call it....
Player A is attempting a jumper, Player B reaches in cleanly and has a hand on top of the ball briefly but then lets go. Player A then returns to the ground w/ out releasing the ball . Is this a no call, a travel or a jump ball ????
I apologize if this is a basic question but I don't think I am calling it right . I always call a jump ball and I have yet to have anyone question me on it....except for myself .
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

If in your judgement the defensive player kept the shooter from releasing the ball then it is a jump, if in your judgement the defense didn't cause the shooter to not be able to release the ball you have a travel.. It took me a while to recognize this consistently and quickly, but after I got over the hump it became much easier to call... keep at it, it will happen
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the shooter's actions

Check the Held Ball definition 4-25-2.

A held ball occurs when: An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

Up-and-down and the ball doesn't come out - I think the proper call is jump.

This assumes that the offense did not have opportunity to make a pass or shot attempt. And you have to make that decision. The shooter cannot decide after being partially checked and still having good opportunity to make a release, come back to the floor and say "Well, rather than pass or shoot, I'm gonna take the jump ball." It's not his choice. This situation should be called a travel.

Up-and-down and the ball is knocked out - play on, good defense.

Up-and-down and ball is released by the shooter so it falls to the floor - travel is probably appropriate.

Unless the shooter tries to do something sneaky to make up for good defense I lean toward jump.

So up-and-down and the ball incidentally comes out - jump.

Just my opinion... and I haven't had anybody really question it either.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Re: Depends on the shooter's actions

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Check the Held Ball definition 4-25-2.

A held ball occurs when: An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

Up-and-down and the ball doesn't come out - I think the proper call is jump.

This assumes that the offense did not have opportunity to make a pass or shot attempt. And you have to make that decision. The shooter cannot decide after being partially checked and still having good opportunity to make a release, come back to the floor and say "Well, rather than pass or shoot, I'm gonna take the jump ball." It's not his choice. This situation should be called a travel.

Up-and-down and the ball is knocked out - play on, good defense.

Up-and-down and ball is released by the shooter so it falls to the floor - travel is probably appropriate.

Unless the shooter tries to do something sneaky to make up for good defense I lean toward jump.

So up-and-down and the ball incidentally comes out - jump.

Just my opinion... and I haven't had anybody really question it either.

** except that as listed above: if "up-and-down and the ball incidentally comes out," you have nothing, not a jump.

**and if you have "up-and-down and the ball is released by the shooter so it falls to the floor," you have nothing, not a travel.

**and I think there's a case play about B1 touching the ball in possession by an airborne(shooter/passer) A1, who never loses control nor possession and comes back down to the floor w/out shooting or passing; and w/out defender B1 touching it. That would be travel. Tough one though.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 08:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz
[/B]
1) ** except that as listed above: if "up-and-down and the ball incidentally comes out," you have nothing, not a jump.

2) **and if you have "up-and-down and the ball is released by the shooter so it falls to the floor," you have nothing, not a travel.

3) **and I think there's a case play about B1 touching the ball in possession by an airborne(shooter/passer) A1, who never loses control nor possession and comes back down to the floor w/out shooting or passing; and w/out defender B1 touching it. That would be travel. Tough one though.
[/B][/QUOTE]1)Casebook play 4.25.2(b) says Tony was right and you are wrong.

2) If the shooter is the first player to touch the ball after dropping it and it hits the floor, then it sure is a travel. Casebook play 4.43.3SitA(d).

3) Casebook play 4.43.3SitA(b) is the casebook play that you are referring to.

Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

ok. good research on the rules and casebook.

Interpretation. I would come up with Jump Ball most of the time. It won't get you trouble. If it is real obvious that the shooter opted not to pass or shoot and the B's hand on the ball did not prevent the release, then hit the travel. Otherwise, I'm not going to get myself in trouble trying to determine in a split second whether or not the shooter was able to release. I'll just go with the jump ball and get the ball back in play.