The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

NFHS.

I'm watching a game where one official makes a call and signals to the table that the foul is on the ground. Never signaled "no bucket." The table interprets this "on the ground siganl" (pointing to the floor) as bucket is good. An easy mistake for them to make. They put the points on the scoreboard for team A.

About two minutes come off the board and at the next clock stoppage the B's coach draws the attention of the referee to point out that the timer put points up that the referee did not allow. Ok. Here is the tricky part, points were scored by both teams and therefore dead balls occured following these goals. That means not correctable. However, the arguement could be made that although the scoreboard read one thing, the referee never eroneously awarded a goal. In fact, despite the poor reporting mechanics, the referee disallowed the score.

Can they change the score to what it should be? Wouldn't that piss off A's coach since he has been playing to eat time with a small lead (that is now being made smaller)?

Hmmm...
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
NFHS.

I'm watching a game where one official makes a call and signals to the table that the foul is on the ground. Never signaled "no bucket." The table interprets this "on the ground siganl" (pointing to the floor) as bucket is good. An easy mistake for them to make. They put the points on the scoreboard for team A.

About two minutes come off the board and at the next clock stoppage the B's coach draws the attention of the referee to point out that the timer put points up that the referee did not allow. Ok. Here is the tricky part, points were scored by both teams and therefore dead balls occured following these goals. That means not correctable. However, the arguement could be made that although the scoreboard read one thing, the referee never eroneously awarded a goal. In fact, despite the poor reporting mechanics, the referee disallowed the score.

Can they change the score to what it should be? Wouldn't that piss off A's coach since he has been playing to eat time with a small lead (that is now being made smaller)?

Hmmm...
Sure -- this is a scorekeeping error, not a "correctable" (officials' error). It can be changed at any time until the final score is approved.

Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rulebook in front of me so I can't quote you the rule. However, the officials may correct a scoring mistake when they have definite knowledge at any time.

Coach A might get pissed, but that is irrelevant.

Z
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I don't have my rulebook in front of me so I can't quote you the rule.
Rule 2-11-11.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all.