The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12167-multiple-fouls.html)

bseybs32 Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:25am

How many times have any of you called a false double foul, simultaneous foul, multiple foul, or a false multiple foul?

I've been officiating for 5 yrs. and I personally haven't had to call any of these, or seen the varsity crew call any either.

If you have called them, how do you explain to coaches? I know they will be confused as to how you can have two fouls at once.

ChuckElias Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:29am

You just call it. You don't explain it. Here's an example.

A1 attempts a try and is fouled by B1. The attempt is successful. After the ball goes through the basket, A1 turns and taunts B1, resulting in a technical foul.

That's a false double foul. Two opponents fouling each other, but not at the same time. No need to explain to the coaches that it's a false double foul. They probably don't really care. Just administer the penalties in the order in which the fouls occured.

If you try to explain the technical terms, you'll just confuse people and muddy the waters. As long as you know what they are and how they're administered, you're good! :)

Mregor Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:23am

Multiple Fouls

Funny you mention this. I am working with a new partner tomorrow and as a joke, I told him I was brushing up on all these situations in case we had a multiple foul. I asked him if one was intentional, would they get the ball OOB after the 4 FT's and count the basket? His reply was that if I call a multiple foul, I'll be handling the situatioin myselft and walking home (even though I'm driving).

There is a definition of a multiple foul, however, it is a ficticous creature, kind of like the Lochness Monster. Although, if you read enough of the threads here, I believe someone actually saw one once. :D

Mregor

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by bseybs32
How many times have any of you called a false double foul, simultaneous foul, multiple foul, or a false multiple foul?

I've been officiating for 5 yrs. and I personally haven't had to call any of these, or seen the varsity crew call any either.

If you have called them, how do you explain to coaches? I know they will be confused as to how you can have two fouls at once.

I've had 2 false doubles (common fouls only) in my 8 year career. One in 1998 at a provincial camp and one about 2 months ago. I've had a few that involve a T like Chuck outlined. They're not the ones you need to really explain.

Never had a multiple, but could have. Didn't call it as such though. I would only ever call it, for example, if one player hacked the shooter on the way up and I had a whistle, and a rather effective blocking foul was after that.

How would I explain them? To be honest, a bit like a certain NFL ref (who shall remain nameless, but is probably the talk on a thread or two in another sports forum) might.

Speak clearly about what happened, and that one foul has nothing to do with the other.

Actually, I had a blocking foul this past Friday. Offense going in for a layup, defender coming to play defense inmiddle of key from another direction. Offensive player without the ball bumps defender, not allowing him time and distance and therefore, defender had no play on the ball carrier. Tweet. Block. When reporting, I said "Blue, 15, blocking. His bump prevented white 20 from making a play on the ball carrier."

I don't recommend that detail on many calls, but in this Grade 8 all-star vs. JV Boys game, it was perfect.

Mike

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Feb 9th, 2004 at 02:34 PM]