The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Wanted to see what the general opinion is out there on this topic. As the college basketball season has unfolded at all levels of play, I am finding that we as officials are letting more and more post play, hand checking, and displacement go when it is a big POE at both the high school level and college level of play.

Am I correct in this assessement or I am I not seeing something correctly?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 10:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I think so.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Wanted to see what the general opinion is out there on this topic. As the college basketball season has unfolded at all levels of play, I am finding that we as officials are letting more and more post play, hand checking, and displacement go when it is a big POE at both the high school level and college level of play.

John,
I think the officials get worn down over the season by the coaches and players complaining.

So, it is quite possible that subconsciously, or consciously for that matter, officials seek the path of least resistance. Early in the season we are fresh from clinics and rules meetings and are eager to do the right thing.

I think this is a common reaction in most sports. The diamond sports, for example, have a lot more equipment laying around the field toward the end of the season, we hear, :That's the first time that's been called all year!" and managers know, more precisely, how far they can go with any given "Blue". They push the envelope and we let it slide.

Simply, they wear us down because we tire of hearing garbage and we tire of being the tyrant. Our attitude is to get in and get done.

They wear us down.

mick

Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin

You can read Hank Nicholls' opinion at the ncaa website
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 10:56am
In Memoriam

Question Yo, bob.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

You can read Hank Nicholls' opinion at the ncaa website [/B]
C'mon, bob!

That's a big site.
Do you have a link?
Thanks,
mick

Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Yo, bob.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

You can read Hank Nicholls' opinion at the ncaa website
C'mon, bob!

That's a big site.
Do you have a link?
Thanks,
mick

[/B]
http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/basketball should get you there -- look for "officiating bulletins" or something like that.

Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 11:18am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Yo, bob.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
[QUOTE]

Found it.
Thanks, bob!
mick

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...07bulletin.pdf
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 01:00pm
Esteemed Participant

It's interesting that both the recent Men's bulletin and Women's bulletin both mention that consistency has been good so far, but needs to stay in place as league/conference play begins to heat up...in my mind, that is the reason that play has been getting a little rougher/more physical...league/conference games generate way more complaints and phone calls to supervisors than do non-conference games, and no one wants to get that dreaded Sunday afternoon call asking why you called the 5th foul on so-and-so's star player for a simple post displacement foul - nobody went down, yada-yada-yada...we all know it happens (been thru it myself recently)...so officials tend to loosen up a little...right or wrong? Don't know - but it happens...
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

You wouldn't have guessed it by tonight's BYU/San Diego State game. They started out calling it tight and pretty much kept it up all night.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 08:17am
In Memoriam

Well, yeah!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
You wouldn't have guessed it by tonight's BYU/San Diego State game. They started out calling it tight and pretty much kept it up all night.
They read the memo.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Man I didn't think so. Only watched the first half but I thought BYU deserved several PC fouls (at least 3).

If a player doesn't get rewarded for good defense, why should he step out and take a charge? Continually getting clobbered for a no-call can only exacerbate rough play. The defense must stop the basket; if you can't do it with good defense, then you've got to foul the shooter. This makes my games worse not better.

I did see an intentional foul called on a player grabbing from behind the lay-up shooter - excellent job.??? might have been the earlier game - can't remember.