The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

"scoring" errors; i.e., if a crew knows that a properly-reported foul has gone unattributed or misattributed on the official scorebook, what if anything may be done?
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

There is no time limit involved in correcting a scorer's mistake, except that you have to do it before the final score is approved by the referee. It can be done as soon as it is discovered as long as the referee is sure that a mistake has been made. Rules reference is NFHS R2-11-11.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Correct! The correction must be made before the officials leave the "visible confines of the court" at the end of the game. Once the officials all return to the locker room, it is too late to correct any errors which occured at the table.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 07:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
Correct! The correction must be made before the officials leave the "visible confines of the court" at the end of the game.
Not really. The rule says that you can't correct a scorer's error after the referee approves the final score. The referee approves the score before he leaves the visual confines. It's just a small difference, but the referee could still be on the court at the end of the game, but be unable to fix a scorer's error.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 08:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
Correct! The correction must be made before the officials leave the "visible confines of the court" at the end of the game.
Not really. The rule says that you can't correct a scorer's error after the referee approves the final score. The referee approves the score before he leaves the visual confines. It's just a small difference, but the referee could still be on the court at the end of the game, but be unable to fix a scorer's error.
If you read NF 2-2-4, it states "The jurisdiction of the officials' (sic - there should be no apostrophe) is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area."

This sentence means that once you leave, the final score is automatically approved. It doesn't say anything (and neither does any part of rule 2-2) obligating any official to perform the overt act of officially approving the score in any manner other than letting it become "official" by the act of leaving the visual confines of the playing area.

However, NF rule 2-5-7 requires the referee to "Check and approve the score at the end of each half."

So....the NF rulebook is telling us that the referee must approve the score at the end of the second half (remember, overtimes are considered a continuation of the fourth quarter), but that the score is not approved until he or she leaves.

HUH?????
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 08:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[/B]
So....the NF rulebook is telling us that the referee must approve the score at the end of the second half (remember, overtimes are considered a continuation of the fourth quarter), but that the score is not approved until he or she leaves.

HUH?????
[/QUOTE]That got me thinking, Mark. I do believe that I was wrong above, and Firedoc had it right. There is a reference that I found in a casebook play that I think covers it. In case book play 2.2.4SitB, it says "Since one of the officials has not left the visual confines of the playing area, the game jurisdiction has not ended. The officials may work with scorer's table personnel to rectify any errors".