The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Well, I finally got the call for a varsity game-it was a girls game, really close at the end. As a guy who's done everything from 3rd grade to college intramural (high-quality ball), this was a unique experience, as there was a high level of competition WITH fans and coaches. I realized that I really need to work on my consistency throughout the game-I came out too strong in the 2nd half, calling much more than the 1st. To those of you that routinely do varsity ball, how much post play do you let go (especially girls). That was the toughest part for me, especially on shots when there is a little contact but no advantage gained. Thanks for the input.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

It takes younger officials a while to understand how to officiate post play. Just 3 quick items:

1- Verticality - Don't penalize the defense for maintaining their position. If the defender is straight up, contact created by the offense does not warrant a foul on the defense.

2- Position - Don't allow either player to push or force the other out of his/her legally established position. This includes posting up and what coaches love to call blocking out. In many cases, it's backing out, not blocking out and it's a foul.

3- "That was the toughest part for me, especially on shots when there is a little contact but no advantage gained."

This should be easy. If there's little contact and no advantage gained, then you have nothing.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It takes younger officials a while to understand how to officiate post play. Just 3 quick items:

1-Verticality - Don't penalize the defense for maintaining their position.

2-Position - Don't allow either player to push or force the other out of his/her legally established position. This includes posting up and what coaches love to call blocking out. In many cases, it's backing out, not blocking out and it's a foul.

3-This should be easy. If there's little contact and no advantage gained, then you have nothing.
BktBallRef--

As a "younger" (I am using this term loosely!) official, I appreciate these guidelines: they answer a number of my questions. I am doing a girls tournament today, and I will be practicing to see just exactly what you say. We'll see how it goes!

juulie
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats Matt S. on receiving your varsity assignment.

I think that you can't go wrong with the advice that you have received thus far on your concerns but would like to add just a few things that may also be able to assist you.

1. Referee the defense - this is the first thing that you
want to do in order to decide if legal position has been
established. From there pick up the offensive player and
determine who caused the contact.

2. See the whole play from beginning to end. Work hard at
trying not to blow your whistle to quickly. There is
nothing wrong with having a late whistle as long as it
is the correct call.

3. Remember that you are officiating players and don't base
your decisions on gender. (girls and boys while at the
high school level are participating under the same rules)

4. Consistency- you and your partners must see the same game
on both ends of the floor from the beginning to the end
of the game.

Best wishes!
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Post yet another piece of advice...

To add to the above advice, I'd like to say this. When the girls go to the floor after the ball (as they love to do) make sure you're not too quick with your whistle. Hesitate, make sure both (opposing) players have their hands on the ball, then blow it.

Other than that, call it the same as you would a boys game. The coaches want that, the players deserve that. All too often we gentlemen tend to call the ladies too tight. Let em play and enjoy the game...