The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm an 18-year old high school senior to be working his first game in two days. I'm excited about it and naturally very nervous. The game is 6th grade girls (I'll be working a 6th grade boys on Wednesday) and it's basically recreational (since the school's official basketball team consists of 7th and 8th graders only) so there isn't a ridiculous amount of pressure on me.

I see this as my break into basketball officiating, something that I've wanted to do for about 2 years now. I've spoken to my college guidance counselor (who's been a certified referee for 20 years) and he told me that over the summer I should take a course and go for certification. He wants me to work some higher tier [than 6th grade girls] games with him as well. Hopefully, he'll become somewhat of a mentor to me.

Anyway, if there's anything you can say to help calm my nerves a bit or any expertise you can provide, I'd be much obliged, thanks.

Wish me luck.

~Logan
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Look below and you'll find a thread titled New Ref. I think you'll find all the same answers in there. Good luck!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

A mentor is an excellent idea. Stay in touch with this forum and you'll learn a bunch as well.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I believe one of the single most important things you can do is to "find" a good mentor.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm lucky enough that he basically told me that he'd like to do it (in so many words). He's going to evaluate how I do in this first game, give me some pointers afterwards, and invite me to show up at some meetings and take the course later on.

I'm really excited about finally catching a break after too years of wanting to do this. We'll see how this first game goes and I'll take it from there though. The last thing I want is to become overwhelmed by everything.

~Logan
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

You'll be overwhelmed at first, but stay with it. Focus. Concentrate on things one at a time. And don't worry about how you feel afterwards - it gets better. Good luck!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.