The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I feel, at times, coaches don't get the amount of respect they deserve by over-officiative (
Coaches spend alot of time with our youth in building character and assist in developing fundamental skills to participate in this great game of basketball.

Since when are officials above the point of criticism to the point where we cannot accept the fact that we are not perfect, and undesirable circumstances arise that we are not capable of handling in a moments notice?

Wow, did I say that?

Doors open!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Since when are officials above the point of criticism to the point where we cannot accept the fact that we are not perfect, and undesirable circumstances arise that we are not capable of handling in a moments notice?
Who ever claimed any of these things in here? What exactly are you looking for? I think you're just creating something to get a rise out of people when no one claimed anything like what you suggest in the first place. Shrug.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

yeh, I was bored and was looking at the posts from Bballcoach, and thought I would help him out.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 05:33pm
In Memoriam

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Last week a B1 fouled A1 across the forearms while A1 was lifting the ball to shoot in the paint. The ball got waist high and stopped. I reported a shooting foul.

Coach B yells, "That was on the floor! That was on the floor! That's not shooting!"
After reporting, I went to the coach and started to explain continuoous motion, and he abruptly cut me off saying, "Mick, I know, I know. You know I just hafta yell."

Why attempt to show up (be the headliner on the marquee) someone else for not reason?
Is respect a one way path to the outhouse?

mick
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Along these lines, had a T tonight. I am usually very thick skinned. Unless you jump on my families bandwagon or something I usually let things slide... Visiting team is down by about 5 or 6, foul count is unballanced due to the fact that the home team is attacking the goal, and the visitors aren't. When the visitors did attack the goal, they usually got a hoop or foul. In any case the coach starts helping us out with the foul count. Then there is an OOB at his end that someone from his area disagrees with. The commment is "you have to open your eyes to make that call". Well I don't know who said it so I don't really acknowledge it.....as we head down the floor he starts complaining that the home team is reaching. While I agree they appear to be flailing they are not making contact...as we cross half court, away from his end, here it comes you have to call that, what are you looking at...I whacked him...yes it might have been quick. The point is , if the coach had kept it between himself and me, no T but he included the whole gym when he yelled across half court...showing us up is a T.....the same comment quietly is at most a stop sign....
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

As an assistant coach, I have the opportunity to observe alot of things. This respect issue is unique and very interesting. Coaches and Referees both have to earn respect but at the same time are due the same due solely to the position they hold. I respect our Head Coach for the way he deals with the officiating crew. The other night we were down badly (something we are not used to) and resorted to fouling to stop the clock. One of our kids grabbed a player from behind and was given an intentional foul. Coach walked in the direction of the offical and said, "that was the right call". You may say so what. Well, later we talked and he said what he wanted to say was that he had made the correct call but just two nights earlier an official in the same orgnization had done otherwise. We were up by a healthy amount and one of the opposition grabbed our player from behind with both arms around the waist. Coach asked if that wasn't an intentional foul. The referee replied, "Coach, we're not going to call that". Out of respect for the job the official at the first mentioned game was doing, our coach didn't vent his feelings about the earlier lack of fortitude.
A week earlier, we had an offical run by the bench toward the end of a hard fought game (we were the visitor) and tell the coach it had been a pleasure working with us. I think that is a sign that the official had been respected and showed the same for the coach.
We may not know it, but the athletes are seeing this and it has an impact on the type of people they will become.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 11:14am
In Memoriam

Post Welcome, assistant coach!

Quote:
Originally posted by coachr
As an assistant coach, I have the opportunity to observe alot of things. This respect issue is unique and very interesting. Coaches and Referees both have to earn respect but at the same time are due the same due solely to the position they hold. I respect our Head Coach for the way he deals with the officiating crew. The other night we were down badly (something we are not used to) and resorted to fouling to stop the clock. One of our kids grabbed a player from behind and was given an intentional foul. Coach walked in the direction of the offical and said, "that was the right call". You may say so what. Well, later we talked and he said what he wanted to say was that he had made the correct call but just two nights earlier an official in the same orgnization had done otherwise. We were up by a healthy amount and one of the opposition grabbed our player from behind with both arms around the waist. Coach asked if that wasn't an intentional foul. The referee replied, "Coach, we're not going to call that". Out of respect for the job the official at the first mentioned game was doing, our coach didn't vent his feelings about the earlier lack of fortitude.
A week earlier, we had an offical run by the bench toward the end of a hard fought game (we were the visitor) and tell the coach it had been a pleasure working with us. I think that is a sign that the official had been respected and showed the same for the coach.
We may not know it, but the athletes are seeing this and it has an impact on the type of people they will become.
coachr,
You seem like an assistant coach that is the real deal.
Thanks for sharing your observations.
mick

(I talk to assistant coaches. )
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Coach's and referee's are just "finge" - bit participants in a facinating game going on between the lines of the court.

It seems we are the two "forces" that want to square off with want of anything better to do. Coach's control their team, its dynamics, priorities, etc. Referee's monitor and balance rule enforcement.

Would you not agree that in the perfect game neither the officials or the coach's would even notice attention from the observers?

I'm proposing a national referrendum that say's both partys, caoch's and referee's, immediatly start pointing blame and agression to where it really belongs - the table crew.

Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Coach's and referee's are just "finge" - bit participants in a facinating game going on between the lines of the court.

It seems we are the two "forces" that want to square off with want of anything better to do. Coach's control their team, its dynamics, priorities, etc. Referee's monitor and balance rule enforcement.

Would you not agree that in the perfect game neither the officials or the coach's would even notice attention from the observers?

I'm proposing a national referrendum that say's both partys, caoch's and referee's, immediatly start pointing blame and agression to where it really belongs - the table crew.

Ref Daddy,
There ya go!
mick