The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Last night during a highschool game. Two experineced officals were working and the following situation occurred...During a dead ball situation, waiting to administer the second free throw. Three kids from the same team were sent into the game. However, only two checked into the scores table. The third kid did not check in at the table. Just as the kid comes onto the floor (matter of seconds) the scores table buzzed the horn to make the officials aware and the Officials reacted by giving the kid a "T". This was before the ball became live to shoot the second free throw. What's the correct ruling? What's the right thing to do here? Rule reference or casebook play please?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 01:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Last night during a highschool game. Two experineced officals were working and the following situation occurred...During a dead ball situation, waiting to administer the second free throw. Three kids from the same team were sent into the game. However, only two checked into the scores table. The third kid did not check in at the table. Just as the kid comes onto the floor (matter of seconds) the scores table buzzed the horn to make the officials aware and the Officials reacted by giving the kid a "T". This was before the ball became live to shoot the second free throw. What's the correct ruling? What's the right thing to do here? Rule reference or casebook play please?
That happened to me the other night. One of the kids was so excited to get in that he was lucky to remember to get his warm-up off before he stepped onto the court.
I sent him back to report.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks mick, for your reply.

I guess I'll answer my own question, about rule reference...Rule 10-2 states:
A substitute shall not enter the court:
ART 1...Without reporting to the scorer.
ART 2...Without being beckoned by an official, except between quarters.
PENALTY: (Arts. 1,2) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. One foul for either or both requirements. Penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live.

Funny, this was posted yesterday...and last night I had something similar happen.
Substitute A6 checked in and came running onto the court during a dead ball, without being beckoned. As I was gently explaining to A6 that he should wait for an official to "wave" him in Subs B6,B7,and B8 from the other team came running onto the court, after checking in at the scorer's table.
Coach from Team A saw Team B's subs come in without being beckoned...he got my attention and pointed toward Team B's bench, suggesting Team B be penalized. (Team A was the Team that got the T the night before for the Sub not checking in)
I simply explained to the Coach that his player had just done the same thing prior to the other subs and that we would just advise them on the proper procedure...he was, of course, good with that.
Anyway...probably much ado about nothing...but, obviously was something to certain officials on certain nights under certain circumstances that needed to be addressed.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I know the rule and know the penalty, but why on earth would you whack a kid w/ a T for this? Just send him back to the scorers table to check-in properly. In the grand-scheme of things, it's not a big enough transgression to penalize w/ two free-throws and loss of the ball. Just use common sense, correct the situation, and move on. Don't interrupt the game for something stupid.....now you've got to call every little ticky-tack foul/violation - you've just set the precedent!