The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Situation: Player A1 shooting a 2 shot foul. (Girls JV)

I admininster the ball to the shooter, A1 for the first of the 2 shot foul. A1 bounces the ball a couple of times, and then bounces it off her foot, and the ball goes rolling down the lane. A1 steps across the free throw line and retreives the ball.

My partner calls a lane violation. I agree with the call.

We cancel that attempt and I tell the players last shot play when the ball hits the iron.

After the game, a varsity official (there to watch the game)asks my partner why he called a violation stating he would have just let A1 reshoot the free throw. He also stated if team B coach says anything his reply would be "We will do the same for you." My problem with that is, what if Team B players don't commit the same violation the rest of the game. We just let Team A get away with the violation.

What are your opinions on this?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

If it was obvious that the girl "accidently" bounced the ball off of her foot....let her shoot both free throws...What advantage did she gain by having the ball go off her foot ?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm just curious!

What would you do if you tossed the ball to the shooter, but he wasn't ready, and tossed it back to you?

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

She had control of the free throw. she stepped across the line, hence, a violation. It is no different than when a player along the lane steps in before the ball hits the rim.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Question?

I agree with no violation in this case. Same scenario but A1 is out of bounds on a throw in and bounces the ball of her foot and crosses the line to retrieve the ball. What is the call?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Sorry all, but no cigar!

I only have the '02-'03 Rule Book, but I wouldn't think this has changed.

Case Book, pg 61, Rule 9.1

A1, at the free throw line to attempt a free throw muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward or accidentally drops the ball before the throwing motion is started. No Violation!

The official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Sorry all, but no cigar!

I only have the '02-'03 Rule Book, but I wouldn't think this has changed.

Correct -- it hasn't changed.

Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Good call Thumper. Be ready to blow your whistle right away on this one to prevent her from committing a violation. Restart the free throw like it never happened. Good preventative officiating.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

i just read that. I agree with that situation. But, A1 was in complete control of the ball after I gave it to her.
My partner had a three count on her.

She didn't muff the pass from me, or accidently drop the pass from me.

What if a player, from team A or B, along the lane had stepped in prior to her throwing motion? Does that allow for a do-over?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bseybs32
i just read that. I agree with that situation. But, A1 was in complete control of the ball after I gave it to her.

What if a player, from team A or B, along the lane had stepped in prior to her throwing motion? Does that allow for a do-over?
Yes, IMO. If A is shooting, and A steps in, violation, 1 shot (if 2 shots) If B violates, still 2 (if 2) The violation could have discerted the shooter if by opposing team. I know I spelled that wrong.lol

DISCONCERTED! ?

[Edited by thumpferee on Feb 6th, 2004 at 09:09 AM]
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

Yes, IMO. If A is shooting, and A steps in, violation, 1 shot (if 2 shots) If B violates, still 2 (if 2)
In this situation, she did violate by stepping over the line to recover the ball, and you have no choice but to assess the penalty for the violation, as you did.

However, when she shanked the ball off her toe, she was completely within the intent of the case book play cited above, and you should have blown the whistle immediately to prevent the violation. She DID NOT have control of the ball -- no one would voluntarily and with control bounce the ball off her toe so that it flies out of reach!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

c'mon. no violation. part of our job here is common sense. Her stepping on the line created no advantage for her or her team. That call was not good for the game. Do what is good for the game. Besides, you have casebook to back it up.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Ok, you have convinced me. i'm just being to technical about it.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 10:39am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Situation: Player A1 shooting a 2 shot foul. (Girls JV)

I admininster the ball to the shooter, A1 for the first of the 2 shot foul. A1 bounces the ball a couple of times, and then bounces it off her foot, and the ball goes rolling down the lane. A1 steps across the free throw line and retreives the ball.

My partner calls a lane violation. I agree with the call.

We cancel that attempt and I tell the players last shot play when the ball hits the iron.

After the game, a varsity official (there to watch the game)asks my partner why he called a violation stating he would have just let A1 reshoot the free throw. He also stated if team B coach says anything his reply would be "We will do the same for you." My problem with that is, what if Team B players don't commit the same violation the rest of the game. We just let Team A get away with the violation.

What are your opinions on this?
I have a no call because my whistle already went.