The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Very "unusual" situation! HELP! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12115-very-unusual-situation-help.html)

Mike Burns Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by nine01c
It is not an unmerited free throw or a correctable error. Player A was still a legal player when he shot the first foul shot because he had not been disqualified yet. The free throw counts and his sub will shoot the second free throw.
This one has my vote!

Mine too.

I'm in!

Adam Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by icallfouls
the player has picked up foul #5, he doesn't have a right to play
Think about it this way. If A1, after committing his 5th foul, but before the coach is notified, pops off to the official, it's a T on the player only; because he's still a legal player. He's not DQ'd until the coach is notified, so he's not getting an unmerited free throw. He's eligible to shoot until notified otherwise. Once the coach has been notified, then he can no longer play. You don't make them reshoot if he made it, and you don't let them reshoot if he missed it.

golfdesigner Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:57am

SECTION 14 DISQUALIFIED PLAYER
ART. 1 . . . A disqualified player is one who is barred from further participation in the game because of having committed his/her fifth foul (personal and technical), two technical fouls or a flagrant foul.
ART. 2 . . . A player is officially disqualified and becomes bench personnel when the coach is notified by an official.

Okay when is he dq'd....when he commits his/her fifth foul or when he is "officially disqualified" when the coach is notified.

Just fuel for the fire I guess.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:29am

FED Interps, 2000 - 2001, Supplement #1:

SITUATION 6: A1 is fouled and Tean A is in the bonus. Before A1 attempts the one-and-one, A1 is whistled for a technical foul for taunting. A1 goes to the free-throw lie to attempt the one-and-one with no players lined up. A1 makes the first free throw, then the horn sounds and the scorer indicates that A1's technical foul was the fifth foul on A1. RULING: The result of A1's first free throw shall stand and A1's replacement shall attempt the remaining free throw (if the first was successful), before Team B shoots its technical foul free throws. COMMENT: This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attemptign a free throw. A1 was not officially disqualified until the coach was notified. (3-3-3;4-14-2;2-8-3;2-10-1c)

I hope that ends the discussion on the play that started this thread.

Now for the other play that I mentioned -- where it's not a correctable error even if the player had to leave the game before the throws:

SITUATION 5: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and is awarded two free throws. A1 is injured on the play and Team A's coach has been beckoned on the floor to attend to A1. Although by rule A1 should elave the game until the next legal opportunity to substitute, the officials make an error and permit A1 to complet the free throws before leaving. The opposing coach objects and insists that A1's substitute should have shot the free throws and a correctable error has occurred. RULING: The officials made an error by allowing A1 to remain in the game. This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw, even though A1 is required to leae the game by rule. (3-3-5;3-3-3)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
FED Interps, 2000 - 2001, Supplement #1:

SITUATION 6: A1 is fouled and Tean A is in the bonus. Before A1 attempts the one-and-one, A1 is whistled for a technical foul for taunting. A1 goes to the free-throw lie to attempt the one-and-one with no players lined up. A1 makes the first free throw, then the horn sounds and the scorer indicates that A1's technical foul was the fifth foul on A1. RULING: The result of A1's first free throw shall stand and A1's replacement shall attempt the remaining free throw (if the first was successful), before Team B shoots its technical foul free throws. COMMENT: This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attemptign a free throw. A1 was not officially disqualified until the coach was notified. (3-3-3;4-14-2;2-8-3;2-10-1c)

I hope that ends the discussion on the play that started this thread.

Now for the other play that I mentioned -- where it's not a correctable error even if the player had to leave the game before the throws:

SITUATION 5: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting and is awarded two free throws. A1 is injured on the play and Team A's coach has been beckoned on the floor to attend to A1. Although by rule A1 should elave the game until the next legal opportunity to substitute, the officials make an error and permit A1 to complet the free throws before leaving. The opposing coach objects and insists that A1's substitute should have shot the free throws and a correctable error has occurred. RULING: The officials made an error by allowing A1 to remain in the game. This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw, even though A1 is required to leae the game by rule. (3-3-5;3-3-3)

Bob:

There is one thing that is missing forom the RULING in SITUATION 5, and that is that the NFHS made no mention of charging Team B with a timeout since there was no correctable error. Would you charge Team B with a timeout per rule?

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Bob:

There is one thing that is missing forom the RULING in SITUATION 5, and that is that the NFHS made no mention of charging Team B with a timeout since there was no correctable error. Would you charge Team B with a timeout per rule?

MTD, Sr.

As I read the case, the official didn't "respond to a scorer's signal to grant the coach's request..." (see 5-8-4), so I'd be unlikely to charge the TO.

(I envision the coach, umm, "explaining" that the wrong player was at the line, and the official saying that it was okay. IF the coach want's a longer explanation, I'll ask him to take a To so we can discuss it.)