The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Team A shoots the ball. Team B intentionally grabs the net A)while the ball is on the ring B)snaps the ring while ball is in cylinder and then ring contacts ball when it returns to its position. Is this both BI and a Technical foul?

I know in back board slapping situations we would only have a T. What about intentional ring and net grasping when NOT trying to avoid injury?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Basket Interference. Does not matter whether intentional or not.

Mregor
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckley11
Team A shoots the ball. Team B intentionally grabs the net A)while the ball is on the ring B)snaps the ring while ball is in cylinder and then ring contacts ball when it returns to its position. Is this both BI and a Technical foul?

I know in back board slapping situations we would only have a T. What about intentional ring and net grasping when NOT trying to avoid injury?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Both BI and the T
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Basket Interference. Does not matter whether intentional or not.

Mregor
Nope!

Two separate acts with two separate penalties. You penalize both the BI and the intentional grasping. Award 2 points to Team A, and charge B1 with a technical foul. Casebook play 9.11.1SitB.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected, what JR said.

Mregor
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

The original post does not indicates the player grasped the ring. If the player did then it certainly is a T.
I don't think it is a T if the player only grabbed the net, pulled hard enough to snap the ring. Just BI.

Oops, I see the detail at the bottom of the post that mentions intentional ring grasping.

Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 08:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
The original post does not indicates the player grasped the ring. If the player did then it certainly is a T.
I don't think it is a T if the player only grabbed the net, pulled hard enough to snap the ring. Just BI.

Rule 10-3-4 says it's a T if a player grasps either basket. Rule 1-10-1 defines the basket as consisting of the ring, it's flange and braces, and the net. It's a T if you grab any part of the basket deliberately, including just the net.