The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

In two man...do you...

Rotate to strong side in lead? If so, do you do so as much as you would in 3 man? On set situations, throw in for example?

In Trail, do you "pinch" down to almost center when the ball goes opposite near the end line or do you step out high on to the court and look down the lane?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
In two man...do you...

Rotate to strong side in lead? If so, do you do so as much as you would in 3 man? On set situations, throw in for example?

In Trail, do you "pinch" down to almost center when the ball goes opposite near the end line or do you step out high on to the court and look down the lane?

I rotate much less frequently in two man. In two-man, if my partner has 6 players and the ball, I'm there.

From Trail, I will easily close down that far.

mick
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
In two man...do you...

Rotate to strong side in lead?
Yes.

Quote:
If so, do you do so as much as you would in 3 man?

Probably not.

Quote:
On set situations, throw in for example?
Yes, but I would also be strong-side for all throw-ins in 3-whistle, as well.

Quote:
This depends on where the players are and what they're doing. But if I'm going to close toward the endline, I will easily be at the FT line extended in some situations.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In two man...do you...

Two person lead-If you were to rotate to the strong side as lead (which you should not do very often), your primary area (the v field of vision) will be looking back over the paint that you just crossed. Always be on one side or the other of the paint-never directly on the paint under the basket.

Two person trail- You should follow the arc about three feet away, moving from the foul line extended to the top of the key. Whena shot is taken, step towards the basket to help out on the rebounding. You should not worry about getting beat.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Two person lead-If you were to rotate to the strong side as lead (which you should not do very often),
Just curious Willie, but why do you say this? If there are two players banging on the opposite block, don't you want to get over there and get a good angle on it? Why limit yourself by being worried about "how often" you go? JMO, obviously, but if you need to be there, you oughta just go.

Quote:
your primary area (the v field of vision) will be looking back over the paint that you just crossed. Always be on one side or the other of the paint-never directly on the paint under the basket.

I agree that we don't want to be stuck in the paint, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about moving through the paint -- quickly -- to get a better view on the other side. I don't have a problem doing this in my 3-whistle games; it's not any harder in 2-whistle.

Quote:
You should not worry about getting beat.
Not sure about this. I worry about it, b/c I know that my best look is from in front of the play, not behind it. If I get beat once, I can live with it, but I don't like it. If I'm getting beat consistently, then either a) I'm doing something wrong or b) I should not be doing a game at that level anymore.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie

"Two person lead-If you were to rotate to the strong side as lead (which you should not do very often), ..."

"You should not worry about getting beat."

Game will dictate cross over. Sometimes it'll require lots of crossovers.

I always worry about getting beaten down the floor, but I always step down.

mick
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Sigh. I said it first, but as usual, Mick said it better.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

The ball dictates position

Here is what we are taught.
Assuming you are lead.

As ball moves away, close down.
As ball moves to opposite side, it may dictate that you rotate over.
As you cross over, position yourself at a 45 degree angle back across the paint.
If ball comes below the free throw line extended, face the court directly. This shows that you are "on ball". When you do this, your partner should move more towards the center as he will have "off ball" on the backside which is partly in your original primary area.
Once the ball moves out past the free throw line extended or a shot is attempted, turn back to the 45 degree angle to show you are "off ball".
When transition occurs, make sure to rotate back over to your correct side.

Even though the mechanics books says to do this sparingly, we are taught to do it as often as necessary.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The ball dictates position

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
If ball comes below the free throw line extended, face the court directly. This shows that you are "on ball".
This is the only part that I disagree with, Damian. Your partner should already know that you're on-ball from your pre-game. Stay angled and just turn your head if necessary; you'll get a better view of the post.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In two man...do you...

Whether I 'pinch down' or stay high on the arc, really depends on what I've been seeing from the offense on previous plays. Of course, we are always guessing/anticipating--usually based on what we've been seeing previously--and sometimes we guess/anticipate wrong, but more often that not we are right. That has been my experiance.

This is a situation where I'm am very much ready to move quickly towards the endline (if I've been up high).

Two man definitely requires alot of anticipating and movement for angles.