The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Question

During the administration of a technical foul, can any players be behind the free-thrower at the three-point line? Again, I don't have my rulebook in front of me and I don't know if it is spelled out.

I thought players were not allowed beyond the half-court line. Am I mistaken?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
During the administration of a technical foul, can any players be behind the free-thrower at the three-point line? Again, I don't have my rulebook in front of me and I don't know if it is spelled out.

I thought players were not allowed beyond the half-court line. Am I mistaken?
mike,
Ya know, I've looked for that too. But, to my knowledge, the other players are simply not allowed in the marked lane spaces, nor the hoop side of the free throw line extended.
mick
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

Guys,

I have also wondered about this. I had an incident in an AAU game a few years ago when the coach of the offending team called his players over for a mini timeout while the shots were being taken. My partner & I both told the players to get behind the midcourt line. The coach said that they didn't have to and that it didn't say anywhere in the rulebook that the players actually HAD to be behind the midcourt line. He went on to explain that the offended team would be able to have a meeting at the bench whereas the offending team would be penalized. I thought to myself, "Exactly! Your player just committed a technical foul! You should be penalized!" but I told them that I'd keep the players behind the line and not let EITHER team have a meeting. He reluctantly agreed but mumbled that we didn't know the rules...to which I should have T'ed him up. I decided to let it ride and continue on. Later on, I had other officials tell me that we did the right thing; however, this is what I found in the federation manual:

In the official's manual on page 42, item 248, it only talks about having the players off the lane...not behind the midcourt line.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 01:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It is an urban myth that players must be behind the division line on technicals and intentionals. The only restriction is the same restriction for any player who is not allowed to be in the lane on a free throw - outside the three point line above the free throw line extended.

Quote:
He reluctantly agreed but mumbled that we didn't know the rules...to which I should have T'ed him up.
Never T a coach for telling the truth.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

Mark,

Agreed...but at the time I wasn't sure he was actually telling the truth. This guy had been bitching the whole game about everything...one of those "everything you call against my team is wrong and everything you call on the opposing team is right...and it's about time you called it" games.

In retrospect, I should have T'd him up well before his player had been called for a T for excessively swinging his elbows.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Proposed Rule Change?

It sounds like this loop-hole could offer an inappropriate advantage. Maybe a rule change to disallow or specifically to allow team conferences during the shooting of free throws should be done. (Team conferences could have a positive effect if the coach is smart.)

Anyone know how to make these suggestions to the NFHS? (While we're at it, I'd like to suggest adopting the college signal for full timeouts!)
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Proposed Rule Change?

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
It sounds like this loop-hole could offer an inappropriate advantage. Maybe a rule change to disallow or specifically to allow team conferences during the shooting of free throws should be done. (Team conferences could have a positive effect if the coach is smart.)

Anyone know how to make these suggestions to the NFHS? (While we're at it, I'd like to suggest adopting the college signal for full timeouts!)
Loophole? Inappropriate advantage to whom?

"Conferences" during the shooting of a T are allowed, as long as other rules are adhered to.

I'd suggest contacting your state with any rules suggestion. I wouldn't wait with bated breath for an answer.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 06:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Mark,

Agreed...but at the time I wasn't sure he was actually telling the truth. This guy had been bitching the whole game about everything...one of those "everything you call against my team is wrong and everything you call on the opposing team is right...and it's about time you called it" games.

Hey - I put a winky face there. It's got to be really frustrating when you run into that 1% of the time a coach actually knows a rule. Of course, that's never happened to me.

Last night, I called a travel on a girl for having the ball with her knee on the floor, then standing up. As I was signalling the violation, her coach said "That's not a travel." He then turned to the JV coach who was sitting behind his bench and asked, "Is it?"

Before the JV coach (who I've known for years) could answer, I said "How would he know?"

They both laughed and we got on with the game.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Proposed Rule Change?

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
Richard, put my name at the bottom of your letter -- this has been the most annoying part about reffing for me, so far. Why isn't there a signal for a full time out!!!????!!!
Old Sat Dec 09, 2000, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Proposed Rule Change?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Richard, put my name at the bottom of your letter -- this has been the most annoying part about reffing for me, so far. Why isn't there a signal for a full time out!!!????!!!
I'd guess it's coming. We're using it in Illinois this year. It was described as an "experiment", but unless there are any problems with it (like what? Hitting the players in the eyes as we give the signal?), I'd guess we'll be using it permanently.