The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
How many of you make an effort to remember who the floor captains are during your games? If you do, how do you remember? Just curious. I've been making the effort this season; although haven't really needed to. Do you have a "trick" for keeping them straight?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
How many of you make an effort to remember who the floor captains are during your games? If you do, how do you remember? Just curious. I've been making the effort this season; although haven't really needed to. Do you have a "trick" for keeping them straight?
I don't really try to. As long as a kid speaks appropriately, I will answer any question or concern that they have. I also have wondered why we do this, if the floor or speaking captain is on the bench what then, that is why I don't make a big effort, if I remember great, if not aw well....
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Dido on cmathews reply.

Sometimes I'll go to the score book and put a C by that player. Never needed it yet and hope not to.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I remember because i will try to go to him/her if i am having trouble with a player. However, i will still let anyone come talk to me.

d

My two sense!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I remember them at least through the jump, since the referee is required to notify both captains that the jump ball is about to occur. After that, I can get it from the book if I need it, since I mark the captains with a "C" when I'm checking the book.

Last night I got to do this three times in my game. I had to verify with the book between regulation and the first overtime who the captains were -- I had the numbers, but couldn't remember which team was 14 and which was 44.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
The captians are an important part of any game and I give them the level of respect they deserve. I think it is also important to not only know the captains, but who are the real "Leaders on the floor". They are usually the ones the other will listen to.

Now as far as how do I remember them. Here in the Seattle area most of the players will come and shake hands or bumb fists with the officials during introductions. I remind myself and my partner who the captains are when the come to meet us. Seems to work for me.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I don't try and remember...I tell the captains in the meeting that if I have a problem player I'll either address him/her directly or I'll tell the nearest player what the problem is and to go tell the other player (tell 22 to get out of the key for example).
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
I don't really try to. As long as a kid speaks appropriately, I will answer any question or concern that they have. I also have wondered why we do this, if the floor or speaking captain is on the bench what then, that is why I don't make a big effort, if I remember great, if not aw well....
I agree, I tried to remember #'s last year with little sucess. Some teams use seniors for captains and they amy not even play much anyways, so I stopped even asking for them at pregame meetings

It is the manner that any player approaches me not who the player is that matters. IF you need to convey something to a player through another player, it is usually pretty easier to tell who the team leader is on the floor at that time.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not a concern.

I not do I try not to remember. I address the players that are involved. I might talk to the captain to make a public display when tempers are getting out of hand. Then if I have to do something it is not like the coaches and fans did not see some effort to squash things. Other than that, no reason to remember their names or numbers. If I need to talk to a captain, I simply ask for captains.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I remember them at least through the jump, since the referee is required to notify both captains that the jump ball is about to occur.
Rich,
That's about as far as I get. After the jump I'm guessin', but then it doesn't really metter to me.
If there is a problem with a player, who is on the edge of pushing, grabbing, or some attitude, I am more likely to tell a coach to please remind #n about ....
mick
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Same here.
Once I notify captains that the jump is about to commence, I have a heck of a time remembering who they are after that.

Z
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The reason I bring this up is b/c I have been trying to remember them this season, and I've been pretty good about it. But I've found that I haven't had any reason to use the info during the game. So I'm wondering if it wasted effort.

I remember them by equating their numbers with famous players with those numbers. So if my captains are #23 and #33, then I remember that my captains are Jordan and Bird. But again, so far it's been wasted effort.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 05:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Chuck - I used to work hard at remembering them also, until I worked a game with a very experienced partner who - when there was a player getting very emotional and "on the edge" - simply called out loudly "Who is my white captain?". The captain came running, thanked my partner for allowing him to deal with it, and then went and talked to the other player...worked pretty well, and got everyone's attention...that's what I do now.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am with you on this Chuck. I tried to remember this at one time, it just became too hard to remember who they were or deal with it when no captains are on the team. Usually the starting point guard or the superstar player are the real leaders on the team anyway. So I do what rocky suggests if I really need to figure it out. But most of the time I address the player or coach directly. That works well enough for me.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
... until I worked a game with a very experienced partner who - when there was a player getting very emotional and "on the edge" - simply called out loudly "Who is my white captain?". The captain came running...
I like this idea, and also the one about asking the table. I've worried about not doing this, and now I can quit worrying. Thanks, folks.