The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Last night...1st quarter...I'm L and call a foul in the paint on a shot. Cheerleaders are within 5 feet of me on the baseline and as I'm heading out to report, I hear one of them say, "That was all ball!" I continued out, reported my foul and gave my parnter a tweet and a hold on a sec. I step back down to the baseline and address the girl that said it. I told her that I wasn't going to do any cheering and she was not going to do any officiating. This girl is bold!!! She looks me right in the eye and says, "OK, but THAT was all ball!"

I take the 80 foot walk to the other end of the court to get my administrator in charge...and request his presence on the other end. The fans are now in an uproar...it felt like they were laughing at me for not being able to handle a cheerleader...or for going to tattle on the cheerleader. The entire time, I'm thinking this is crap and what could I be doing differently. WAY too much focus on me for too long!!!

The admin got the sponsor to go have a chat with them, and we had no other problems the rest of the night.

I'm open to suggestions!
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Next time just step on her foot!!!! LOL No seriously, you might wanted to wait for a dead ball or time out then you can go to the cheerleader that said it and address it then instead of holding up the game..
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Go deaf

If ever there was a time to act as though you heard nothing. . .because you did hear nothing. If you can ignore a coach, who might know a LITTLE bit about basketball, you ought to be able to ignore a cheerleader!
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

I would have ignored her. Although the situation sounds hilarious...I mean, just imagining a cheerleader saying....ehh, you know where I'm going with this.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

BK -

Wow. Beckoning the game Administrator because a cheerleader says "That was all ball."

In addition to the cheerleaders, did you also oversee the popcorn stand?

Reminds me of a Little League baseball game I saw last summer: Ump stops game and marches 200 feet to center field fence to tell a couple parents to stop arguing balls and strikes. Really!

Call your game. Ignore the other stuff.

Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Fight fire with fire

Or you could remind them that they are the ones who stand on the sideline and cheer 'DE-FENSE GET THAT BALL BACK' while their team is on a fast break!
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BK
Last night...1st quarter...I'm L and call a foul in the paint on a shot. Cheerleaders are within 5 feet of me on the baseline and as I'm heading out to report, I hear one of them say, "That was all ball!" I continued out, reported my foul and gave my parnter a tweet and a hold on a sec. I step back down to the baseline and address the girl that said it. I told her that I wasn't going to do any cheering and she was not going to do any officiating. This girl is bold!!! She looks me right in the eye and says, "OK, but THAT was all ball!"

I'm open to suggestions!
Whoa...maybe we can arrange for my son to meet her?

Next time ignore her. Really. There's just no way a grown man looks good berating a teenaged girl in a cheerleader outfit.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
The entire time, I'm thinking this is crap and what could I be doing differently. WAY too much focus on me for too long!!!
It's kinda funny when you think about it. It's like, "I'm gonna tell the principal on you!"

I think you answered your own question. I made this mistake, too, with a fan. I plan to never make it again.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Well I'm going to disagree about Ignoreing this situation.
Go to the table and ask to have someone to get the game admin. Have them tell the game admin. to inform the cheerleaders not to commit about the officiating. Do not stop the game to address this situation. Do it at TO's or at half time.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Well I'm going to disagree about Ignoreing this situation.
Why?

Who cares what a cheerleader says?

If it's profantiy or vulgairty, that's different. But "That was all ball!"

No way.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

The cheerleaders are under the same guidelines as the table personnel. Are you going to allow the table personnel to say this to you? If so, where do you draw the line? I'm not going to guess at where to draw the line. If you take care of business the way I said, no one knows there is a problem and you have nipped it in a bud.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
That's the best advice I've gotten Bart. Thanks. I knew I was screwing up when I started toward the other end of the court...but I was kinda pissed!!!

I'll know better next time!
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
The cheerleaders are under the same guidelines as the table personnel.
Say what?

The table personnel are officials designated by the referee per RULE.

Cheerleaders are supporters of their team. They fall under 2-8-1. They ARE NOT part of the officiating crew and they ARE NOT subject to the same rules as the table officials.

Once again, this is no different than a fan making such a comment. There is NO distinction between cheerleaders and fans in the NFHS Basketball Rule Book.

I have no problem with speaking indiscreetly to game management about a true "problem" during a game. But going to game management because some 16 y/o girl yelled "That's all ball!" at me does not qualify as a problem.

I'm thankful I've moved past that stage. I'm sure BK has to. We can all get pissed from time to time on the floor but we learn a lesson from it if we're smart.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't need a rule book to tell me cheerleaders can't make commits about my officiating. And I never said it was in the rule book. As far as I'm concerned, If the cheerleaders want to stand on the floor next to me, they are required to conduct themselves properly according to MY standards. I'm glad you have move past this stage. Maybe some day I will be as good as you. But, for now I will not allow this from cheerleaders.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

No need to get offended. I meant to add that your way of handling a problem situation is right on target. But there's no need for it in this particular situation. Again, a cheerleader yelling "That was all ball!" is about as minor as anything you're gonna hear.

But you're absolutely wrong about cheerleaders being the same as table officials. You stated they're "under the same guidelines..." That implies rule book. You can ignore the rule book if you like but your statement has no standing.

Now, back to the game.
Closed Thread