The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Congrats man!

Oh, and in Texas, they have known for a while, seeing as how it's a 3-year gig--working the State Tourney that is.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Re: Congrats!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[B]Hey guys, how do you know so early? Do you know about the other rounds as well, or just the 3rd Place game at this time.

JRut,
The officials in MN are always picked at this time of year. All the letters for the girls tourney should be going out. I would expect the boys tourney letters to be out in a week or so. An official only works one game in the tournament with the exception of the championship officials who also work a 1/4 final game. They will be working the boys or girls but not both. Officials are in for 3 years and then rotated out. Some are not asked back after one year and others can be kept around for a year or two longer. But the majority are in for 3 and then out for at least one. Remember, there are always exceptions to what I just wrote.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubby

JRut,
The officials in MN are always picked at this time of year. All the letters for the girls tourney should be going out. I would expect the boys tourney letters to be out in a week or so. An official only works one game in the tournament with the exception of the championship officials who also work a 1/4 final game. They will be working the boys or girls but not both. Officials are in for 3 years and then rotated out. Some are not asked back after one year and others can be kept around for a year or two longer. But the majority are in for 3 and then out for at least one. Remember, there are always exceptions to what I just wrote.
I am not asking what time of year it is, I am asking because would you not know what other rounds you are doing first? My state is assigning the girls too, but they will not know when the State Finals assignments are well into the playoffs. Maybe that is already been reported, but I am asking if the other rounds were reported and when were they reported? Another reason I am asking, what if you "screw up," are you still scheduled that far in the playoffs?

Peace
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

In MN the head of officials and a committe of rules clinicians (other officials) along with a member of the High School league do the assigning for the 1/4's, semi's, 3rd place and Finals. These games are awarded based on past performance and coaches evaluations. District and Section games are assigned by Section assignors and getting one has no direct bearing on getting the other. Although the ability to get district and section games will greatly increase your chances at getting a state tourney game it is not a requirement. I realize that in some states you need to continually prove yourself throughout the playoffs in order to advance to the state tournament. That is not the case in MN. You can have the worst Section final game ever and still be allowed to work the state tourney. It's also technically possible to work the state tourney without having worked any other playoff games that year.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

MN State Tournament

I was given a Quarter and Semi this year from MN, and I only have 2 section games. It seems tougher to get playoff games than State Tournament. I feel for "Vol," I have to give back the Quarter because of a family commitment. If I want my 1st wife to stay my only wife, I need to put family 1st, but man does it hurt to work so hard to move up the ladder and then give a game back. Now I'm at risk of the High School League holding that against me, I hope they won't.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Ready?

In our state the officials have a pregame with the person in charge of officials before the first game so everyone handles things as consistant as possible as far a procedure. If the game is televised you may want to check into procedures involved because your timeouts may be longer and you will need to wait for your signal to resume play. I think the best tip is remember what got you there in the first place and be ready to start officiating from the opening tip so you don't have any surprises. Also go slow, take your time because you might get a little excited with the atmosphere. Hey congrats and have fun!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

mnref: glad to know that i am not the only one that has to give back a game this year. i tell you what i can hardly sleep at nite having to deal with this. i just thought that i wouldnt of had a chance since this was my 1st year of registering for state. i have had a bunch of veteran officials around the area(sw mn luverne-worthington) tell me to not worry about getting a state tourney game and go ahead a make plans for your vacation. this will definitly not happen again to me. i will guarantee it. now the only thing i can do is work my *** off to get there once again. believe me, this is weighing on me severely. that being said, have you worked the state tourney in years past and if soo do you have a few pointers for us newbies, as far as what to expect. i know big joe would love all the advice he can get. good luck big joe, i wish it would have worked out. that would have been awesome to communicate with each other leading up to the game. ill e-mail you sometime.

later
mightyvol
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Congrats Big Joe! And congrats, as well, mightyvol. Sorry to hear that. You made it once, though; you will again.

I too, am going to my first State tourney. The Boys (ID).
Good luck.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

MightyVol

I finished working things out with the High School League, they were very generous to me - I may still get to work 2 games!!! As far as being there before, yes I have. And here is my advice, treat the opportunity with the respect it deserves. Dress up!!! Be professional, I couldn't believe that some came to meetings wearing jeans, T-Shirts, etc. If they think highly of you, you'll be back. I know what you're going through - what a sick feeling!!! Good luck with the rest of the season.