The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   .2 seconds on the clock, Game over? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12016-2-seconds-clock-game-over.html)

bpaulson Mon Feb 02, 2004 02:07pm

With .2 seconds on the clock at A1 is fouled and clock stops. A has a 1 point lead and A1 is going to shot 2 shots. The official calls the game claming that .2 seconds in not enough time for B to get a shot off should A1 miss both foul shots. Other than elastic power, which I don’t think comes into play at this point, is there anything in the NCAA rule book that gives an official the right to call the game with .2 on the clock?

Bob

bob jenkins Mon Feb 02, 2004 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bpaulson
With .2 seconds on the clock at A1 is fouled and clock stops. A has a 1 point lead and A1 is going to shot 2 shots. The official calls the game claming that .2 seconds in not enough time for B to get a shot off should A1 miss both foul shots. Other than elastic power, which I don’t think comes into play at this point, is there anything in the NCAA rule book that gives an official the right to call the game with .2 on the clock?

Bob

No.

footlocker Mon Feb 02, 2004 02:16pm

There is enough time for a Tip in. NFHS

rockyroad Mon Feb 02, 2004 03:08pm

Or...A misses both free throws, and on the second miss, A5 shoves B5 to keep him/her from getting rebound...tweet - buzzer...no time on clock but B5 gets to shoot free throws (assuming they were in bonus) for a possible win...this official was way off-base...

mick Mon Feb 02, 2004 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Or...A misses both free throws, and on the second miss, A5 shoves B5 to keep him/her from getting rebound...tweet - buzzer...no time on clock but B5 gets to shoot free throws (assuming they were in bonus) for a possible win...this official was way off-base...
Or a T to anywhere could be awarded.

mplagrow Mon Feb 02, 2004 09:06pm

Another scenario

OK, if you can do that, why play the end of any blowout game? Why not say, 'You guys are down by 40, and there's only three minutes left, and we don't think you can do it, so let's go home!'

oc Mon Feb 02, 2004 09:16pm

I heard once that the FIBA rule is different than NF/NCAA and you cant even get in a tip with 0.2. Anyone know if that is true?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 03, 2004 06:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
I heard once that the FIBA rule is different than NF/NCAA and you cant even get in a tip with 0.2. Anyone know if that is true?

Not true.

ref18 Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:48am

Just out of curiosity, did this happen in a college game??

Bobby Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
No. There is no three-tenths rule in the FIBA, even with Hank Nichols' mingling with the rule book on the FIBA World Technical Commission. Art. 29 (when a period or game has ended) does not have any rule on it. Anything's legal with even 00.1 on the clock. The new timing technology may IMO eliminate the 00.3 rule in the future because of how quick a button may be pressed by one official and a whistle blown by the other official.