The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Played in a faculty vs student game recentlly. Pulled out 2 plays discussed on this forum. Both worked Beautifully.

-Beginning of the fourth quarter I had the ball at the division to pass in and all the teachers went to attack the wrong hoop. 3 students followed to play defense while 2 stood at half court protesting we were going the wrong way. Then one teacher quickly ran behind them the other way and I threw it to him for the easy lay-up.

1:00 to go in the 4th with the ball under Faculty hoop. Barking Dog Time! Worked great.

Another teacher/coach wanted to try the hiding off the court in the locker room play but since it is not a legal play and the kids know I ref I didn't want to be involved in it and told them they could do it themselves if they wanted. They didn't.

Know of any other (legal) plays I can use next year?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Barking Dog Time!
More of an explanation is requested...

Someone give a moon to howl at or what??
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Barking Dog Time!
More of an explanation is requested...

Someone give a moon to howl at or what??
Remember the play that some high school made famous a couple of years ago... guy on the inbounds gets on the ground and start barking. While everyone is watching, offense throws in the ball for an easy lay-up.

I guess that's what he's talking about anyway ...

thanks
David
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Barking dog play-
ball out of bounds under A's hoop. As A1 prepared to throw the ball in-A2 (me) and A3 got down on our hands and knees near the three point line and started barking and growling at each other like a couple of mad dogs with rabies. While team B (students) were distracted A1 passed to A4 for an easy lay-up.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

That play was made famous in Casper, Wyoming....but the legality of it is in question, I believe that the federation came out with a specific case play banning this, but I won't swear to it still fun to run though....
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

The dog play!

Nice work!
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen a girls team work this play a couple times and it worked. Team A has a throwin on the baseline in their front court. Official hands the ball to A1 for the trowin. A2(who is near the FT line on the far elbow) says to A1 " let me throw in the ball, I'll throw it in", and A2 starts walking slowly toward A1, the def always relaxes and it results in a easy layup.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I have seen a girls team work this play a couple times and it worked. Team A has a throwin on the baseline in their front court. Official hands the ball to A1 for the trowin. A2(who is near the FT line on the far elbow) says to A1 " let me throw in the ball, I'll throw it in", and A2 starts walking slowly toward A1, the def always relaxes and it results in a easy layup.
Plays of this type are illegal in football (making the defense think there's a problem and the play isn't going to be run).

I wish they would come out with clear language in basketball as well.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Plays of this type are illegal in football (making the defense think there's a problem and the play isn't going to be run).

There's one football play that I loved...

Standard set. QB starts the count then steps out and starts to the sideline as if he were going to call timeout. When he gets about 1/2 way to the sideline, the center direct snaps the ball the RB who picks up a pretty nice gain. The QB only has to be careful to be moving laterally and not draw an illegal procedure penalty.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Quote:

10 yards in Canada, "misleading tactics".
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsman-like

Taunting

T
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Quote:

10 yards in Canada, "misleading tactics".

Only in Canada do they have distance penalties in basketball.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Taunting????

I don't know if I'll buy taunting for that one. Although I did ref a varsity vs. faculty game once and they faculty had a throw-in by their bench. Somebody on the bench switched the bball for a football, and the thrower tossed a pass downcourt which was promptly dunked. Only problem was, expecting such hijinks, I had a yellow hanky in my pocket. You should have seen the looks on their faces when I threw it out on the floor! I called illegal man downcourt on the center and gave the students 10 yards and the ball!
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:

There's one football play that I loved...

Standard set. QB starts the count then steps out and starts to the sideline as if he were going to call timeout. When he gets about 1/2 way to the sideline, the center direct snaps the ball the RB who picks up a pretty nice gain. The QB only has to be careful to be moving laterally and not draw an illegal procedure penalty.
Camron, that play is only legal if there's no vebiage designed to fool the defense. For example, if a coach were to yell 'Call a timeout!" and then the QB headed to the sideline as if he were going for a TO, it's being unsportsmanlike conduct before the snap.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 07:40am
Courageous When Prudent

I must be bored or lacking sufficient employment

Reading this thread about legal plays reminded me of a question I had from last season.

JuCo game: Late in the 2nd half we have one of those crazy sequences that involves the teams turning the ball over 3 or 4 times in a row and a mad scramble on the floor trying to gain possession of the ball. The sequence ends with me calling a foul and A1 receiving 2 free throws.

I am now trail tableside, of course, and as the lead (crew chief) is administering the first free throw B1 (obviously short of breath from the preceding action) takes a sit on the court right in front of the opponents bench. The crew chief notices B1 sitting down and motions for me to tell B1 to stand up.

Is there any verbiage in the rulebooks that forbids a player from sitting on the court. I just did a quick scan of the electronic NCAA rulebook and I couldn't find anything. Is there anything in the FED book?