The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 07:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Is there any verbiage in the rulebooks that forbids a player from sitting on the court. I just did a quick scan of the electronic NCAA rulebook and I couldn't find anything. Is there anything in the FED book?
There are no restrictions in either ruleset.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Everytime, which is maybe once a season with my high school team, I try to run the misdirection play to start the second half, the ref always seems to point too long or warn the other team in some way that ruins the opportunity.

Having said that, i've been that ref a couple of times in youth league rec ball.

What are you instructed and/or required to do mechanics wise?
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Monkey Play

Run the MONKEY PLAY on in-bounds play under the basket. It's similar to the BARKING DOG in that one guy cuts to the hoop as the other three role on the floor and act like monkeys. We used it a couple times when I was playing JUCO ball in the early '90's.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
Everytime, which is maybe once a season with my high school team, I try to run the misdirection play to start the second half, the ref always seems to point too long or warn the other team in some way that ruins the opportunity.

Having said that, i've been that ref a couple of times in youth league rec ball.

What are you instructed and/or required to do mechanics wise?
First off, the officials should be lined up on the proper end of the court, whether two man or three man mechanics. That should tell the players which way we're going.

Second, before I put the ball in play, I'm going to make sure each team has 5 players on the floor. I see no difference in that and telling them which way we're going. If I'm administering the throw-in, I'm going to point in the proper direction and make sure all players from both teams understand which way we're going.

Finally, I can't remember ever starting a half or quarter and not have someone ask me which way we're going/who's ball is it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith