The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player Control (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11965-player-control.html)

Ref Daddy Thu Jan 29, 2004 02:48pm

NFHS Boys

Player dribbling a ball under control - flying down the sideline, approaching a "set" defender.

At the last moment pass's the ball off and proceeds to run over the defender who's remains in a legal position.

Is this player Control? Is this Charging?
Is this something else?

zebraman Thu Jan 29, 2004 02:53pm

It's not player control because he did not have control of the ball nor was he an airborne shooter.

It is charging and simply a common foul.

Z

2020ref Thu Jan 29, 2004 02:56pm

player control

Ditto....best to know this now rather than when it happens in real life.

blindzebra Thu Jan 29, 2004 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy

NFHS Boys

Player dribbling a ball under control - flying down the sideline, approaching a "set" defender.

At the last moment pass's the ball off and proceeds to run over the defender who's remains in a legal position.

Is this something else?

You have a pushing foul on A1,free throws for B if you are in the bonus.

In college you have a team control foul,and no free throws.

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 29, 2004 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Originally posted by Ref Daddy

NFHS Boys

Is this something else?

You have a pushing foul on A1,free throws for B if you are in the bonus.

In college you have a team control foul,and no free throws.

You are correct about the bonus - that could be a potential issue with coaches - they might think that because the dribbler had the ball, there is no bonus. Of course, they're wrong.

However, I understanding was that this scenario called for a charging foul and not a pushing foul. Semantics perhaps.

DownTownTonyBrown Thu Jan 29, 2004 04:40pm

Player control if the passer still has the ball (no shots). Push if the ball is out of the passer's hands (Shots if in the bonus - NFHS).

Damian Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:10pm

This is one I learned here at the forum

I used to call I player control until I saw a simlar post about this. I still didn't believe it and studied the rules and case books some more. Glad to know about it before it happens to me.

ChuckElias Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:24pm

One of my most memorable exchanges with a coach occured in a college game two years ago -- before the team control foul was adopted. I called a pass/crash "charge" against his point guard. They were over the limit, so the other team shot the bonus. In the second half, I called a PC against the other team. They were over the limit, but of course, no FTs were awarded.

Coach grabs my partner during a TO. "How come they got FTs and we don't?!"

He calmly explains the difference. After the TO, I walk to my position, which happens to be in front of the coach. I ask if my partner was able to answer his question.

He says "Yeah, I get it. But it stinks. They shouldn't make you guys split hairs like that."

I said, "A lot of people agree with you, but it's the rule, you know?"

He says, "Yeah? Well you can tell Hank Nichols to shove that rule up his @$$!"

I almost fell over laughing, but just said, "Sorry, Coach, but Hank doesn't take my calls."

We both laughed about it. Funny moment.