The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Two officials. Team A man to man full court press. Team B inbounds the ball and begins advancing. B1 picks up his dribble at the backcourt free throw line and passes it ahead toward a player who may or may not be in the front court from my view at trail. B2 is not looking and ball hits him in the back and bounces into the backcourt where it is recovered by B3. Is it my call at trail or should lead make the call? I could not see from my position as I was behind the ball position in case of a steal by Team A. Lead was quite far up the court as there were players under Team B's basket. Was I in the wrong position? What is the best way to cover this? By the way we made no call and nobody complained but in the future I would like to be in proper position for the call. Thanks.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

If you didn't see it-don't call it.

In a two man crew (apologies for not being PC), there are times when you just can't see it all. In your situation, you should be advancing up the court behind the players. Since there is a press, there probably will be a trap at half court, so you need to make sure you are not coming up one side, but rather moving more to center.

It sounds like the B player that got hit in the back was at half court. If you were not sure, a no-call is best.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

In addition, your partner probably should have been closer to midcourt to help with the press, how close depends on how many players were in the frontcourt.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, in a two-person crew, there are times when you just can't see it all. Bummer to admit, but true. Don't guess.

Z
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 03:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
Two officials. Team A man to man full court press. Team B inbounds the ball and begins advancing. B1 picks up his dribble at the backcourt free throw line and passes it ahead toward a player who may or may not be in the front court from my view at trail. B2 is not looking and ball hits him in the back and bounces into the backcourt where it is recovered by B3. Is it my call at trail or should lead make the call? I could not see from my position as I was behind the ball position in case of a steal by Team A. Lead was quite far up the court as there were players under Team B's basket. Was I in the wrong position? What is the best way to cover this? By the way we made no call and nobody complained but in the future I would like to be in proper position for the call. Thanks.
What rules set are you requesting?

In Fed, this is nothing. There was no team control in the FC, so no OaB.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
The point is, Jake didn't know whether there was team control in the FC or not. He couldn't tell where B3 was.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong juggler. If B2 had been in frontcourt, this would have been a backcourt violation on team B.

Z
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think the Juggler was thinking that since the ball only hit the back of the player and that player didn't obtain posession of the ball, no team control was established in the front court. However, I believe that because team control is established by way of Team B having team control in the backcourt, and the ball touches a Team B player in the front court, then the ball obtains front court status while still in team control of B, and was last touched by a team B player in the front court, the backcourt violation would be the correct call.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Nice call Smitty.
Z
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
What rules set are you requesting?

Tsk, tsk, tsk!

See casebook play 9.9.1SitC(a).
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

This is a call that the lead can make. During transition, the midcourt line belongs first to the lead then the trail as the play moves up court.

I, just Saturday night, made a backcourt violation call as lead. Full court press. Player have court really stretched out. Partner has 2 on 2 deep in the backcourt and he's between the FT line and the endline. I'm even wiht FT line in the FC covering the 6 players down there. A1 passes the ball up to A3 who is running back to help. A3 jumps from the FC catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. I delayed and when no whistle came from my partner, I made the call. Since he was covering on ball, he didn't get a good look at where A3 left the floor but I did since I was covering off ball.