The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone watching the game or know of what kind of shoes that Tom O'Neil had on tonight??? All I could really see was the Nike swoosh, and that they looked like high tops but nothing else really.. I am looking for some high top shoes to wear becasue my ankles are really starting to bother me now...

Thanks
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

On a similar stance, last night Ted Valentine was officiating the Texas-Texas Tech game last night. It appeared he had a white Nike swoosh on his shoes? Can anyone else verify this? Is this allowed these days?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Why are we so concerned about whether or not the official has some markings on his shoes that make them not solid black? These guys are there to call the game, and if the main problem you have is with their shoes, they must have done a heck of a job. If there was some reason for those shoes not to have been worn, the supervisor for that conference would have taken care of it long ago.

These guys can set their own style. This is something that has to be earned, so younger officials should do it the way your area wants it to be done, until you earn the priviledge in your area to start being an individual.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Why not?

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
On a similar stance, last night Ted Valentine was officiating the Texas-Texas Tech game last night. It appeared he had a white Nike swoosh on his shoes? Can anyone else verify this? Is this allowed these days?
Why would it not be allowed? The shoes have to be black. There is not NCAA expectation that I am aware of to cover all insignias on the shoes just to cover them. Your state like mine might make it clear what they want, but that has nothing to do with the guidelines of the NCAA. And most shoe companies do not make all black shoes. Not everyone likes the Converse All-Stars and the many other companies that make all black shoes like Riddell.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 01:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Why are we so concerned about whether or not the official has some markings on his shoes that make them not solid black? These guys are there to call the game, and if the main problem you have is with their shoes, they must have done a heck of a job. If there was some reason for those shoes not to have been worn, the supervisor for that conference would have taken care of it long ago.

These guys can set their own style. This is something that has to be earned, so younger officials should do it the way your area wants it to be done, until you earn the priviledge in your area to start being an individual.
What you said.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Bigwhistle,

Get off their as*, they are asking a question and you give them a lecture. who cares what type of job they did. The question was about shoes.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I wasnt concerned about the white on the shoes because I could care less about that, I was just wondering what kind of shoes they were because they looked like high tops and I am wanting to get a pair...

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Bradp

You have to be careful what you say in this room. Some of the people take it personal. If you find the shoes you are looking for, just put a little black shoes polish over the white nike swoosh.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Yea I understand Clay, but I am not the one that brought up the white on the shoes.. I used to have the converse run n ref a few years ago with the white star and not to many said a word about it.. My ankles are bothering me lately like last year about this time and so I bought a pair of Slamtastics but a few weeks ago they ripped out on me so looking for something popular to wear among ref's.. Thanks Smitty will look into that web site..
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Our state frowns upon any white in the shoes. I assumed NCAA officials were supposed to wear all black, which is why I asked. I didn't mean it to sound edgy...
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
Bradp

You have to be careful what you say in this room. Some of the people take it personal. If you find the shoes you are looking for, just put a little black shoes polish over the white nike swoosh.
Why put shoe polish over it? What's the point?

I like the post above that essentially said, "who cares how they called the game, the question is about shoes."

To me, that is one of the biggest problems with some state and local associations. They don't really care how a game is called as long as you're wearing the right shoes.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
To me, that is one of the biggest problems with some state and local associations. They don't really care how a game is called as long as you're wearing the right shoes.
Or beltless pants. Ooops, did I say that out loud?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Rich,

Good answer. Your right, they put to much on your apperance rather than your ability.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 02:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Or beltless pants. Ooops, did I say that out loud?
Shhhhhh.

Actually, I find white on shoes to be impractical -- if you use black polish it is hard to polish only part of a shoe. I've always preferred all-black for basketball.

Baseball shoes? I use ArmorAll on those so it doesn't matter if there's white on them. And most of the good ones have some white.