The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5 to 4 to 5 Players (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11924-5-4-5-players.html)

SteveF Tue Jan 27, 2004 03:48pm

Okay a couple of questions for you all.

1. If a team has 5 players eligible to play do they have to have 5 on the floor? I want the actual rule not just oppinion here. I was at a game once where the coach did not sub when subs were available and a kid fouled out. Later on he made the substitution and they were back to 5 players.

2. If a team has only 5 players and one is injured to the extent that he is not able to be bought in with a time out. That player must leave the game and can not sub until after the clock has started and the next oppurtunity to sub comes around. So his team will have to play with 4 until that time when he can come back in and make it 5, correct?

mick Tue Jan 27, 2004 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveF
I want the actual rule not just oppinion here.
What level?
What rules?

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 27, 2004 04:06pm

Quote:

1. If a team has 5 players eligible to play do they have to have 5 on the floor? I want the actual rule not just oppinion here. I was at a game once where the coach did not sub when subs were available and a kid fouled out. Later on he made the substitution and they were back to 5 players.

2. If a team has only 5 players and one is injured to the extent that he is not able to be bought in with a time out. That player must leave the game and can not sub until after the clock has started and the next oppurtunity to sub comes around. So his team will have to play with 4 until that time when he can come back in and make it 5, correct?

NFHS rules:

1)If a team has 5 eligible players,they <b>must</b> have 5 on the floor. Case book play 3.1.1Situation.

2)Correct

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 27, 2004 04:10pm

Quote:

I want????

No "please"?

Dan_ref Tue Jan 27, 2004 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I want????

No "please"?

Doesn't this constitute an opinion?

You heard the guy....NO OPINIONS!

(IMO)

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 27, 2004 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Doesn't this constitute an opinion?

You heard the guy....NO OPINIONS!

(IMO)

[/B][/QUOTE]That's the problem with this forum. There's too damn many opinions!!

IMO.

TPS2859 Tue Jan 27, 2004 05:19pm

Question asked...

Question answered...

Let it go, who cares if SteveF "WANTED" or asks.

Bart Tyson Tue Jan 27, 2004 05:28pm

Quote:

2. If a team has only 5 players and one is injured to the extent that he is not able to be bought in with a time out. That player must leave the game and can not sub until after the clock has started and the next oppurtunity to sub comes around. So his team will have to play with 4 until that time when he can come back in and make it 5, correct? [/B]
They can buy him in with a TO.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 27, 2004 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TPS2859
Question asked...

Question answered...

Me.

Dan_ref Tue Jan 27, 2004 05:54pm

Quote:

Quote:

Question asked...

Question answered...

Me.

Awwww geeze, see that. You just had to go & open your big mouth & start a fight. You are unbelievable

IMO.

mick Tue Jan 27, 2004 06:12pm

Quote:

Quote:

Question asked...

Question answered...

Me.

I, too.

SteveF Wed Jan 28, 2004 07:37am

Quote:

Quote:

NFHS rules:

1)If a team has 5 eligible players,they <b>must</b> have 5 on the floor. Case book play 3.1.1Situation.

2)Correct

Sorry, should have said I would appreciate the actual rule and not opinion.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 28, 2004 08:47am

Quote:

[/B]
Sorry, should have said I would appreciate the actual rule and not opinion.
[/B][/QUOTE]No problem, Steve. I posted that half in jest, anyway. Probably shoulda put a smiley on it.

DJ Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:39am

Quarter limitations

If your state has a limitations on the number of quarters that a person can play in one night even though they are in the book and listed as substitutes they would not be required to come into the game. State rules would supercede Federation rules. If they played it may result in forfeiture of the game for playing more than the allowable quarters for that night. Our state has a five quarter limitation. Actually to violate this rule is not a concern of the officials but is an administrative problem. We would not require them to participate but if they do it is out of our jurisdiction and we do not penalize the infraction.

TPS2859 Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:43am

If so my deepest apology to Dan.

Started off having a bad day,though he was just adding to it.