The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What is the Ruling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11913-what-ruling.html)

Metrodom Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:13pm

What is the Ruling?

Team A fouls and it is the 7th team foul on Team A. Team B lines up to shoot the 1+1. The official bounces the ball to the Team B free throw shooter who receives the pass to attempt the first free throw. A teammate of Team B violates (is in a marked lane space and steps out to the 3-point arc). The violation is called (therefore eliminating the second free throw attempt). Team B coach requests that the wrong shooter was attempting the bonus. What is the ruling if the officials (a) know that the shooter was not the right player or (b) do not know that the incorrect shooter was at the line.

[Edited by Metrodom on Jan 26th, 2004 at 02:52 PM]

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Metrodom
Team A fouls and it is the 7th team foul on Team A. Team B lines up for the 1+1. The official bounces the ball to the free throw shooter who receives the pass. A teammate of Team B violates (is in a marked lane space and steps out to the 3-point arc). The violation is called. Team B coach requests that the wrong shooter was attempting the bonus. What is the ruling if the officials (a) know that the shooter was not the right player or (b) do not know that the incorrect shooter was at the line.
Team B violates is not an immediate call... wait for the results. If misses then shoot again.

Wrong shooter is your fault and is a correctable error. see 2-10. Erase the points get the correct shooter.

Team B cannot step out trying to force enforcement the rules. All he would have had to do was say "That's not the right shooter." before you passed him the ball.

Metrodom Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:50pm

What is the Ruling?

A violation by a teammate of the free throw shooter is not a delayed whistle. The violation is called as soon as it happens.

ChuckElias Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:53pm

Re: What is the Ruling?

Quote:

Originally posted by Metrodom
A violation by a teammate of the free throw shooter is not a delayed whistle. The violation is called as soon as it happens.
True, but in your original post, it says that A was shooting and a team B member stepped out. Have I misunderstood the situation?

Metrodom Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:57pm

What is the Ruling?

I apologize. When I said that "Team B lines up for the 1+1" I meant that Team B was the shooting team. I have since edited it. Sorry about the mix up.

DownTownTonyBrown Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:58pm

OOooops

I think I misread it also. I guess I was expecting Team A as offense and to shoot.

Violation by the shooting team is immediate and loss of opportunity.

Still a correctable error if you had the wrong shooter and discovered it during the time slot for making corrections.

bsktball_ref Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:59pm

I understand your post.

This is a correctable error as in 2-10-4.

"If the error os a free throw by the wrong player or at the wron basket, or the awarding of an unmerited free throw, the free throw and the activity during it, other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional, or technical fouls, shall be cancelled"

A lane violation is "activity other than unsporting, flagrant, intentional, or technical fouls". Therefore it is cancelled. However unfortunate for team A, the correct Team B shooter will get the 1+1 oppportunity.

If you cannot confirm the correct shooter then you have the violation standing and A's ball at the endline for the violation at the front end of a 1+1.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 26, 2004 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bsktball_ref
I understand ......................
AHEM!!! We already have a BktBallRef here.

Bart Tyson Mon Jan 26, 2004 04:02pm

Well, if you have the wrong shooter then you get the correct shooter to the line for the 1-1. Ignore the violation. If you still think you have the correct shooter then its a violation.

Metrodom Mon Jan 26, 2004 04:03pm

What is the Ruling?

I agree with the post from bsktball_ref for the rule interpretation. Bottom line is to make sure and communicate with your partner(s) who the correct free throw shooter is.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 26, 2004 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

You got any illegitimate kids we don't know about, Tony?

BktBallRef Mon Jan 26, 2004 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Hell, I didn't know about this one.

When I asked, I just always tell people that "I have three kids, that I know about."

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 26, 2004 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

No pics with your post, JR?

Adam Mon Jan 26, 2004 06:41pm

I'm sticking with the violation here. "I'm sorry coach, but I cannot verify that we had the wrong shooter."
I'm not rewarding Team B for putting the wrong guy at the line.

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 26, 2004 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
I'm sticking with the violation here. "I'm sorry coach, but I cannot verify that we had the wrong shooter."
I'm not rewarding Team B for putting the wrong guy at the line.

How about "We'll re-shoot the FT,Coach,but your first shooter is getting a T for trying to shoot undeserved FT's". :D

Adam Mon Jan 26, 2004 08:43pm

[/B][/QUOTE]How about "We'll re-shoot the FT,Coach,but your first shooter is getting a T for trying to shoot undeserved FT's". :D [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought of that, but I'll save that for if (okay, when) he bellyaches about it. :D