The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
I'm a new ref and looking for advice on a problem I have. I am reffing 5th and 6th grade house league games. At this age, kids have a tendency to gravitate to the ball. Not uncommon to have 8 kids standing within about 10 feet of the ball. So, vision on some plays gets a little cloudy, and you can only see some things peripherally.

My problem is I seem to have a quick whistle. I blow the whistle based on something I thought I saw, rather than what I saw. As an example, yesterday, I was lead and ball was out by the 3 pt line with about 6 kids out there. I had noticed a little guy playing d by the lane line. Next thing I know he is falling on the floor towards the ball and out of the corner of my I saw that he was pushed. Problem was, he was pushed by his own teammate. So, I have blown the call. What should I have done at that point. I gave the ball back to the team that had possession, and explained to the coaches I just blew the call and they were okay with that.

Further, any suggestions as to how I can control my quick whistle.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Why not hold it in your hand while the ball is not in your area? Use a lanyard so that it's still near your mouth but try it a few times until you can break the habit.

Also, I sounds like you may be ballhawking instead of officiating the defensive players in your area. Foucs on watching the players in your area when the ball is in your partner's area.

Most importantly, slow down EVERYTHING you're doing. If you have a quick whistle, I'm betting you're too quick with other issues as well.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Slow down everything you are doing.

Consider refing the defense carefully. New officials tend to want to make traveling, 3 seconds, and plaming calls. You will still see this, but make it a focus to referee the defense- watch your competitive match-up first and eye the defender.

Then make it a point to see the whole play. If there is a foul, how did it affect the play/game. Then make a decision on whether or not to call it.

Finally, often the quality of an official has more to do with the quality of the no-calls than the quality of the calls.

Just some thoughts.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Slow down everything you are doing.

Consider refing the defense carefully. New officials tend to want to make traveling, 3 seconds, and plaming calls. You will still see this, but make it a focus to referee the defense- watch your competitive match-up first and eye the defender.

Then make it a point to see the whole play. If there is a foul, how did it affect the play/game. Then make a decision on whether or not to call it.

Finally, often the quality of an official has more to do with the quality of the no-calls than the quality of the calls.

Just some thoughts.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
I'm a new ref and looking for advice on a problem I have. I am reffing 5th and 6th grade house league games. At this age, kids have a tendency to gravitate to the ball. Not uncommon to have 8 kids standing within about 10 feet of the ball. So, vision on some plays gets a little cloudy, and you can only see some things peripherally.

My problem is I seem to have a quick whistle. I blow the whistle based on something I thought I saw, rather than what I saw. As an example, yesterday, I was lead and ball was out by the 3 pt line with about 6 kids out there. I had noticed a little guy playing d by the lane line. Next thing I know he is falling on the floor towards the ball and out of the corner of my I saw that he was pushed. Problem was, he was pushed by his own teammate. So, I have blown the call. What should I have done at that point. I gave the ball back to the team that had possession, and explained to the coaches I just blew the call and they were okay with that.

Further, any suggestions as to how I can control my quick whistle.
If you don't see it,don't call it.Don't guess,don't go by sound,if you can't see it don't put air in your whistle.

Most calls,don't need a quick whistle,you have a little time to decide.Get in the habit of letting the play happen
BEFORE you call the foul. Also try not anticipating the foul.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

A little too quick myself

Blew this myself a couple days ago...

steal and break away play

offense is going to the hole

defense is two steps ahead and gets good position between dribbler and basket. I'm thinking Good defense... probable player control.

Offense goes up for shot. Just as contact occurs defender leans back and to the side. Offense goes right through where offense was previously positioned. My whistle inexpliciably goes off and I continue through with the Player Control signal. Contact was significant but not the usual knock down the defender contact I was expecting on this play. Shot missed and was rebounded by the defender.

Offensive coach goes nuts. Calls time out and wants an explanation (he's loosing by 10 late in the 3rd quarter and his team has only scored 20). I stick to my guns with the call.

Then I made my second mistake as the coach is questioning... "The defender had great position but the contact ... Probably could have been a no call." More ranting...

"So what am I supposed to tell my girl?" Like there really was anything to tell her. I make my third mistake... "Tell her I screwed up."

Would liked to have said "Tell her that her aim is bad. Not only did she miss a relatively easy shot... she missed the defender." Too bad I was too quick with the original call but thank God I was too slow with the smart aleck comment.

Oooh well.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Jan 26th, 2004 at 05:36 PM]