Thread: Quick whistle
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

A little too quick myself

Blew this myself a couple days ago...

steal and break away play

offense is going to the hole

defense is two steps ahead and gets good position between dribbler and basket. I'm thinking Good defense... probable player control.

Offense goes up for shot. Just as contact occurs defender leans back and to the side. Offense goes right through where offense was previously positioned. My whistle inexpliciably goes off and I continue through with the Player Control signal. Contact was significant but not the usual knock down the defender contact I was expecting on this play. Shot missed and was rebounded by the defender.

Offensive coach goes nuts. Calls time out and wants an explanation (he's loosing by 10 late in the 3rd quarter and his team has only scored 20). I stick to my guns with the call.

Then I made my second mistake as the coach is questioning... "The defender had great position but the contact ... Probably could have been a no call." More ranting...

"So what am I supposed to tell my girl?" Like there really was anything to tell her. I make my third mistake... "Tell her I screwed up."

Would liked to have said "Tell her that her aim is bad. Not only did she miss a relatively easy shot... she missed the defender." Too bad I was too quick with the original call but thank God I was too slow with the smart aleck comment.

Oooh well.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Jan 26th, 2004 at 05:36 PM]