The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Calling a timeout while going out of bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11887-calling-timeout-while-going-out-bounds.html)

ivanlt Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:13pm

Had a healthy discussion the Friday night after our games over a couple beers. The opinion was divided, here is the question:

Can a player call a timeout if they jump from the court inbounds, catch the ball in mid-air and while in the air call a time out and will obviously have to land out of bounds after catching the ball?

Please indicate the rule number referenced.

CKRef Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:24pm

For NFHS

Grant the TO request, see case play 5.8.3.D

Must have player control. Definition of player control says nothing about being on the floor. (4-12-1) Inbounds applies to where the airborne player LEFT the floor.

Had this conversation with an out of state coach in a tournament recently. I granted the TO. She agreed, but said they wouldn't get it in their state.

Mark Padgett Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:34pm

Re: For NFHS

Quote:

Originally posted by CKRef

Had this conversation with an out of state coach in a tournament recently. I granted the TO. She agreed, but said they wouldn't get it in their state.

She must coach in the state of incorrectness.

ivanlt Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:37pm

I agree with your point about player control in rule 4-12-1, but I thought the IHSA or NFHS made some exception to the falling/airborne player while going out to bounds and trying to call a timeout? But I am not sure and can't find it anywhere in the rules or case book. SO until I hear otherwise, grant the TO.

Woodee Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:39pm

Re: Re: For NFHS

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by CKRef

She must coach in the state of incorrectness.

Mark you are something else! Good one!!!!!

JCurrie Sun Jan 25, 2004 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ivanlt
I agree with your point about player control in rule 4-12-1, but I thought the IHSA or NFHS made some exception to the falling/airborne player while going out to bounds and trying to call a timeout? But I am not sure and can't find it anywhere in the rules or case book. SO until I hear otherwise, grant the TO.
The rule concerning airborne players and TO's is from the NBA. They have a rule restricting it, and as with all things, that belief trickles down to our world.

Mark Padgett Sun Jan 25, 2004 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ivanlt
You won't hear otherwise, unless your state has some kind of "special rule" on this point.

If there is player control - you grant the TO - period.