The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FLA-Auburn pass and crash (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11882-fla-auburn-pass-crash.html)

Jay R Sat Jan 24, 2004 07:34pm

Anyone see the game this afternoon. Florida player passes the ball to a teammate and crashes into the defender. Offensive foul is charged. The refs award two free throws to Auburn. I saw the Florida coach ask the refs about the situation but no explanation was given on the telecast. Anyone know why they awarded FTs on a team control foul?

Mike Burns Sat Jan 24, 2004 09:35pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the player had passed the ball then he no longer had player control. Therefore the call can't be PC. So, since it's a personal foul which is not player control they shot the bonus.

Jay R Sat Jan 24, 2004 09:42pm

In NCAA, no FTs for either player or team control.

oatmealqueen Sat Jan 24, 2004 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
Anyone see the game this afternoon. Florida player passes the ball to a teammate and crashes into the defender. Offensive foul is charged. The refs award two free throws to Auburn. I saw the Florida coach ask the refs about the situation but no explanation was given on the telecast. Anyone know why they awarded FTs on a team control foul?

Once the player passed the ball, it is no longer a player control foul.
It becomes a common foul (most likely a push) and foul shots are awarded if in the bonus.
Don't have rulebook to site, however.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 24, 2004 09:50pm

It doesn't matter. In the NCAA, offensive team control fouls no longer result in FTs.

Mike Burns Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
It doesn't matter. In the NCAA, offensive team control fouls no longer result in FTs.
Correct. My fault, I was thinking NF.

Mark Dexter Sun Jan 25, 2004 01:51pm

Quote:

Anyone know why they awarded FTs on a team control foul?

D-I refs still do this from time to time, just to keep everyone nice and confused. :p

ChuckElias Sun Jan 25, 2004 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

D-I refs still do this from time to time, just to keep everyone nice and confused. :p

It's an amazing combination of pride and anger when you're the only official on the floor who remembers the rule, as was the case in my game last Saturday. :mad:

Mark Dexter Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

It's an amazing combination of pride and anger when you're the only official on the floor who remembers the rule, as was the case in my game last Saturday. :mad:

Trust me - it's moreso when you're the only one in stripes who remembers the rule.

And you're sitting in front of a book . . . .

With little numbers for scores printed in it . . .

Jay R Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:15am

The three officials were Doug Shows, Mike Kitts and Pat Adams. I don't remember who made the call, but Pat Adams was near Florida coach Billy Donovan when they were lining up for the free throws. I could Donovan's lips for part of the conversation: "I know it's not your call, but...." I'm assuming he was asking why were they shooting FT on a team control foul. In that situation, shouldn't Adams have gone to his partners to make sure they were not making a mistake?