The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
What a day, what a day. I think it had to do with me not stopping at the gas station I ALWAYS stop at on my way to the Saturday morning games.

First four games, uneventful, typical rec basketball. We then get to the 13-15 age division, where things are a little bit more rough. Every Saturday I've had to give a warning for crossing the boundary plane...most of the time they backed off, but about a quarter later, I had the same player cross over. Whack. No arguements from coach or player, though.

Next game, we get off to a bumpy start. Black is fouling like there's no tomorrow. I'm L, and I have a foul with a made basket. As I go to report, B12 takes the ball and slams it against the backboard. Parter comes with a technical on B12. I administer the one shot followed by the T-free throws. A little while later, I'm L on a press, standing at half-court. Foul or violation (can't remember which) is called on B3. Takes the ball and slams it to the ground. Whack.

I have no regrets on them at all. The only thing I really noticed was the difference in these two technical fouls and my very first one. My first one was VERY dramatic, over-theatric, and overdone. These ones were unemotional, calm, and just like any other foul. I'm happy about that.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
....I have no regrets on them at all. The only thing I really noticed was the difference in these two technical fouls and my very first one. My first one was VERY dramatic, over-theatric, and overdone. These ones were unemotional, calm, and just like any other foul. I'm happy about that.
TXMATTHEW05,
Attaboy, Mr. Cool, Calm and Collected !
... Just using one of our tools.
Keep U.P. the good presence.
mick

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Thanks, Mick
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
A very wise senior official in my association gave me very good advice about what to do when calling a T on a coach. He recommended that the calling official sound the whistle, make the T sign and then move towards the center circle before reporting the foul to the table. This brings the official away from the bench where the coach is sitting or standing. Now if the coach has choice words for the official he either has to shout it (for everyone in the gym to hear) or come out onto the court (a place that everyone knows the coach is forbidden from going).

I call very few Ts in a season, but when I do that is the "mechanic" I use. It seems to work.