The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the long post but this was a neat experience.
What a day!
Took a day off to stay with my sick son. As the day goes on I started feeling lousy and was thinking about calling the assignor to see if there was a replacement handy. About that time, early afternoon, the assignor calls me and says he is short on officials and would I like to do the varsity game tonight as well. This would be my first varsity game. I said "of course" but I was not feeling great and was there someone for the JV? Too bad, so sad but he is really short handed. So through the miracle of modern medicine I am at the JV game but no partner! He is quite late but I manage with the new and improved one man mechanics. By the end of the JV I was tired, but still had lots of cough drops. My varsity partner is ready and we have to get out on the floor. I had so much fun. By the fourth quarter my voice had diminshed somewhat but it was neat. The band, the coaches, the intensity, the fans, etc. I was exhausted when we finished. My partner said he was concerned about working with a JV offical, but after the first minute he never looked my way agian. I am not going too toot my own horn with all of his comments beyond just saying that my partner liked what I did, said he would work varsity with me anytime and he was going to call the assisgnor to give a favorable report. I have never worked so hard on my game, (mechanics, rules, etc.) as this year, so maybe it is paying off. Who knows maybe next year I can get some varsity?
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
My partner said he was concerned about working with a JV offical, but after the first minute he never looked my way agian. I am not going too toot my own horn with all of his comments beyond just saying that my partner liked what I did, said he would work varsity with me anytime and he was going to call the assisgnor to give a favorable report. I have never worked so hard on my game, (mechanics, rules, etc.) as this year, so maybe it is paying off. Who knows maybe next year I can get some varsity?
Way to go, RON!!! You stepped up and got the job done. Don't think it won't be noticed.

There's nothing quite like the head rush you get when you're standing there between games, looking around for the varsity officials, and then it hits: I'M THE VARSITY OFFICIAL TONIGHT!! Definitely a night to remember fondly. And to do a great job, too, just puts the frame around it. Way to go!!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Yeeee Haaaa!!!

My biggest let-down once JV ended and Varsity started was the fact that after my game I couldn't set down with a hot dog and drink to enjoy the varsity game... everyone had gone home.

The rest of the excitement far exceeds the value of this little draw back.

Welcome to the next level.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 08:30am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Well done, Ron!
Mighty fine story.
mick
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Yeeee Haaaa!!!

Hey Ron, way to go. Hopefully, this experience will lead directly to further good assignments for you. Being available and flexible is almost infinitely valuable to an assignor. (Others on this forum may want to remember that for the next time the assignor is in a jam. . .) You were given an opportunity and made the most of it. What else can you ask for? Congrats.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
My biggest let-down once JV ended and Varsity started was the fact that after my game I couldn't set down with a hot dog and drink to enjoy the varsity game... everyone had gone home.
There's a lot to be said, though, for taking a nice shower, and then walking out of the gym when the only other people there are the janitorial staff. After all the noise, yelling, hustle -- you just walk out in the quiet night. I love that.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Yeeee Haaaa!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
After all the noise, yelling, hustle -- you just walk out in the quiet night. I love that.

Of course, this is rare for Chuck --- most of his games end with an angry mob chasing him out of town.

The problem is even worse in towns where they eat squirrels as roadkill!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
About that time, early afternoon, the assignor calls me and says he is short on officials and would I like to do the varsity game tonight as well. This would be my first varsity game. I said "of course"
This was obviously the wrong answer. You should have told him that if you weren't good enough to do V games regularly that you weren't good enough to do one on an emergency basis and the assigner could "stick the game up his a**"".

Then, go watch the "fat" officials and wonder why they are doing the games.

Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
About that time, early afternoon, the assignor calls me and says he is short on officials and would I like to do the varsity game tonight as well. This would be my first varsity game. I said "of course"
This was obviously the wrong answer. You should have told him that if you weren't good enough to do V games regularly that you weren't good enough to do one on an emergency basis and the assigner could "stick the game up his a**"".

Then, go watch the "fat" officials and wonder why they are doing the games.

Yer a sick man, Man.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good job!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 12:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm sorry, but if I show up at a school to work a varsity game and someone is working by himself I get dressed as quickly as possible and get my behind on the court.

Did this official sit and watch you work by yourself?

Oh, and, great job. Working when sick is tough. Working well for two games when sick is outstanding.

I don't know about the other folks, but I like reading stories of first varsity games. My first one was about 15 years ago, but I'll never forget the nerves I had that night, mainly because a small portion of those nerves are with me every time I take the court

Rich