View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Sorry for the long post but this was a neat experience.
What a day!
Took a day off to stay with my sick son. As the day goes on I started feeling lousy and was thinking about calling the assignor to see if there was a replacement handy. About that time, early afternoon, the assignor calls me and says he is short on officials and would I like to do the varsity game tonight as well. This would be my first varsity game. I said "of course" but I was not feeling great and was there someone for the JV? Too bad, so sad but he is really short handed. So through the miracle of modern medicine I am at the JV game but no partner! He is quite late but I manage with the new and improved one man mechanics. By the end of the JV I was tired, but still had lots of cough drops. My varsity partner is ready and we have to get out on the floor. I had so much fun. By the fourth quarter my voice had diminshed somewhat but it was neat. The band, the coaches, the intensity, the fans, etc. I was exhausted when we finished. My partner said he was concerned about working with a JV offical, but after the first minute he never looked my way agian. I am not going too toot my own horn with all of his comments beyond just saying that my partner liked what I did, said he would work varsity with me anytime and he was going to call the assisgnor to give a favorable report. I have never worked so hard on my game, (mechanics, rules, etc.) as this year, so maybe it is paying off. Who knows maybe next year I can get some varsity?