The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this last night in a HS varsity game after I did the JV game--A1 fouled and awarded 2 shots-time out by team A--after time out administering official indictes 1 shot (not noticed by non-admisistering official) A misses shot B1 gets rebound and begins up court-official immediately blows whistle and corrects error--They let both teams line up for 2nd shot and just played on--My question--should they have cleared lane for 2nd shot and then given team B the ball at point of interuption--ie does the fact that team B got the rebound after the 1st shot imply a change of possession
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, should have been B's ball at point of interuption.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Yes, should have been B's ball at point of interuption.
Agree...and the reason is because the possession changed to B's when they caught the rebound.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the change of possession would be if B gets rebound and then once team A gets the ball, that is the change of possession. Bottom line I thought you would line up in this play.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Bart I am not understanding why you would line up for this. Team B has rebounded the ball and is heading up court when the error is discovered. Correctable errors go back to the POI, which in this case is B's ball.

An interesting question would be what if the offical blew the correctable error while after the ball had hit the rim, and noticed everyone was rebounding, but before anyone had possession. Would the POI be the fould shots or would you have to go AP because no team had possession? If the arrow favored A they could really gain in that situation.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
Bart I am not understanding why you would line up for this. Team B has rebounded the ball and is heading up court when the error is discovered. Correctable errors go back to the POI, which in this case is B's ball.

An interesting question would be what if the offical blew the correctable error while after the ball had hit the rim, and noticed everyone was rebounding, but before anyone had possession. Would the POI be the fould shots or would you have to go AP because no team had possession? If the arrow favored A they could really gain in that situation.
In that case, you'd just lione everyone up for the second shot and proceed from there.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1

2 possibilities...

1. B has had possession of the ball....shoot FTs and resume from POI.

2. B has not had possession of the ball...shoot FTs normally...play the miss.

The AP arrow is used when no other issues indicate who is to get the ball.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
I disagree with the majority in this case. Often times in the double bonus a player will grab the rebound after the first shot and start play. The ball is still dead. You line them up for the second throw in this case. I don't care what the official said, It is a 2 throw situation. I would blow the whistle and line 'em up for the second throw.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
I disagree with the majority in this case. Often times in the double bonus a player will grab the rebound after the first shot and start play. The ball is still dead. You line them up for the second throw in this case. I don't care what the official said, It is a 2 throw situation. I would blow the whistle and line 'em up for the second throw.
Then you'd be wrong.

Rule 2-10-6:
If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

What this clearly says is that you always go to the POI except in one case: A1 is due another FT (or FTs) and only A has had possession....in which case you line up for the FTs and continue as if nothing was unusual.

The reason to go with the POI is that B earned a legitimate rebound or steal.

If B had got the rebound then A stole it back, you'd still put A1 on the line with no one on and resume with possession to A.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
Then you'd be wrong.

Rule 2-10-6:
If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point at which it was interrupted to rectify the error, unless it involves awarding a merited free throw(s) and there has been no change of team possession since the error was made, in which case play shall resume as after any free-throw attempt(s).

What this clearly says is that you always go to the POI except in one case: A1 is due another FT (or FTs) and only A has had possession....in which case you line up for the FTs and continue as if nothing was unusual.

The reason to go with the POI is that B earned a legitimate rebound or steal.

If B had got the rebound then A stole it back, you'd still put A1 on the line with no one on and resume with possession to A.